Bluemoon Angling Thread

Been following this thread for a while now, and as someone who has fished on/off all my life, some of the posts have really given me incentive to take it up again. The lockdown and change in lifestyle has made me less scared of "winding down" a bit from work, so hopefully time wont be the issue it always was previously.I was only ever a pleasure fisherman and prefered to "fish on my feet" as I call it, that means roaming my local(small) river,or a quiet pit/lake to fish a short session. The last foray I had was about five years ago when I built a stage for a neighbour to moor his rowing boat(his garden backs on to the river) and is just 100 yards or so over the back field from me. I fished from his garden a few times(off the stageI built) during sept/oct then it petered out again. I did catch the same stamp of 1-3lb chub I used to catch along there about 15 years prior( none of the trout that used to snatch the bait with real aggression though) and red crayfish have become nuisance. Anyway, I might take it more seriously this time,and the missus is keen for me to take it up again too( think she harbours ideas of coming with me as a spectator/ company). Later this week I will have the chance to dig my gear out of the garage(the contents of the boxes etc will be as I left them 5 years ago).I am happy with the rods, shimano twin powers for various uses mainly, but the last reels I bought were cheap, and the line and hooks etc are 20+ years old mainly, along with the nets. I was hoping that some of you more knowledgable anglers could advise me on a couple of things.

1. What reels to buy......I need one for carp fishing which will be a new discipline for me although I have a carp rod etc, and an all rounder to be used for trotting through/stillwater float/feeder/ledgering, I will maybe spend up to £40-60(is that enough??) on each to begin with( upgrading if it takes off).
2. Will my line/hooks/nets etc still be usable after all this time, and which tackle would you definitely buy new to restart?

The local club I buy a permit from to fish the river has now got a one acre pit, a deep reservoir and some canals too, so these are where I will start again.
I am not a novice as such, but have lost touch with products/brands etc, so any advice would be much appreciated, cheers in advance.

Following the last two club outings where I blanked at each, the pressure was on to improve at my ‘home’ loch coldingham yesterday. A hat trick of blanks would have been the source of much merriment amongst my fellow club members. Omens were not good as Friday was the warmest day of the year. MI was drawn in a boat with the clubs oldest member who needs a bit care and attention in the boat being 83. I hope to god I’m still fishing at his age.

In fact, it was a really good day. Weather was perfect, overcast with a nice ripple. Fish were moving but not easy to tempt. We had got to around 10.30 fish less but with enough interest to keep us encouraged, when I saw a trout on the surface around 30 yards in front of the boat. Now that is normally too far when you are fishing dries as I was because it’s difficult to present a fly accurately at that range. Nothing ventured.... I cast at it, the fly landed six feet from where I had seen it seconds before and as the fly landed, up it came and took it like a goodun. Struck and it was on. Now the satisfaction that casting to and catching a rising fish is without question one of the best feelings....

I picked up another couple on dries, one pushing 6lb my biggest this season. It was a perfect fish. Very pink for a rainbow and back spots all over, even it’s stomach which was unusual. About 1pm my Boat partner was having real trouble with his arthritis and decided he had had enough so after helping him with his stuff out of the boat I was on my Tod for the remainder. I managed another couple, the last with my last cast of the day. I had been fishing a bay whilst chatting to the fishery owner who was fishing on the bank. I kept getting little knocks every time I cast to one particular spot and I was describing that to him, asking if he thought it might be little perch. One last cast in that spot and the line tightened and it was obvious the culprit wasn’t a perch. This time the fish was about 5lb the second biggest of the season.

managed 5 for the day and a credible 3rd place in the outing. To me a perfect days fishing is where it isn’t easy and you really have to work hard for your fish.

Been following this thread for a while now, and as someone who has fished on/off all my life, some of the posts have really given me incentive to take it up again. The lockdown and change in lifestyle has made me less scared of "winding down" a bit from work, so hopefully time wont be the issue it always was previously.I was only ever a pleasure fisherman and prefered to "fish on my feet" as I call it, that means roaming my local(small) river,or a quiet pit/lake to fish a short session. The last foray I had was about five years ago when I built a stage for a neighbour to moor his rowing boat(his garden backs on to the river) and is just 100 yards or so over the back field from me. I fished from his garden a few times(off the stageI built) during sept/oct then it petered out again. I did catch the same stamp of 1-3lb chub I used to catch along there about 15 years prior( none of the trout that used to snatch the bait with real aggression though) and red crayfish have become nuisance. Anyway, I might take it more seriously this time,and the missus is keen for me to take it up again too( think she harbours ideas of coming with me as a spectator/ company). Later this week I will have the chance to dig my gear out of the garage(the contents of the boxes etc will be as I left them 5 years ago).I am happy with the rods, shimano twin powers for various uses mainly, but the last reels I bought were cheap, and the line and hooks etc are 20+ years old mainly, along with the nets. I was hoping that some of you more knowledgable anglers could advise me on a couple of things.

1. What reels to buy......I need one for carp fishing which will be a new discipline for me although I have a carp rod etc, and an all rounder to be used for trotting through/stillwater float/feeder/ledgering, I will maybe spend up to £40-60(is that enough??) on each to begin with( upgrading if it takes off).
2. Will my line/hooks/nets etc still be usable after all this time, and which tackle would you definitely buy new to restart?

The local club I buy a permit from to fish the river has now got a one acre pit, a deep reservoir and some canals too, so these are where I will start again.
I am not a novice as such, but have lost touch with products/brands etc, so any advice would be much appreciated, cheers in advance.
Bin all your line pal. Better still, use it to back deep spots up with, but replace with new. At 20 years old it will be rotten. Hooks may be ok but many fisheries are barbless only nowadays so I'd bin barbed hooks.

As for reels you have plenty of choice. Is carp fishing for fish under 30lb fish without casting 100 yards plus? If so take a look at the Shimano Baitrunner DL 6000RB. For 70 quid it's an absolute bargain. Shimano reliability and after sales is second to none. If you want it's bigger brother go for the BTRXT8000RB. That's £107 from Angling Direct. One thin about buying online though is try and support your Angling shopkeeper or they will be put out of business if anglers don't use them!

Have a look at a good Korum stockist for rods, they do some really good tackle for the money. Korum stuff is well designed made to last gear that's affordable. Korum's parent Kompany is Preston's Innovations and their match gear is up there with anyone.

As for terminal tackle it's a minefield! I've been away from fishing a while and some of the end tackle these days is really good. Korum, Guru, Preston's Innovations Korda Drennan Diawa and Fox, all good gear.

If you intend fishing a canal you'll probably want a pole if you haven't got one. I can't advise on up to the minute poles but if you want one let me know your budget and I'll ask a couple of mates who are good match anglers.

Which river did you catch the chub from pal?

Well done taking him out, mate. It’s not easy teaching beginners. I’ve got twin boys and it’s a complete nightmare.
I can vouch for that, ended up with a treble embedded in my forehead and a lost
Mitchell on one trip to Higher Poynton, with my mate's young brother. He ended up catching a 20lb pike which won fish of the week in the MEN, the following week every peg was taken and the week after spinning was banned due to the number of water-birds hooked.

Bin all your line pal. Better still, use it to back deep spots up with, but replace with new. At 20 years old it will be rotten. Hooks may be ok but many fisheries are barbless only nowadays so I'd bin barbed hooks.

As for reels you have plenty of choice. Is carp fishing for fish under 30lb fish without casting 100 yards plus? If so take a look at the Shimano Baitrunner DL 6000RB. For 70 quid it's an absolute bargain. Shimano reliability and after sales is second to none. If you want it's bigger brother go for the BTRXT8000RB. That's £107 from Angling Direct. One thin about buying online though is try and support your Angling shopkeeper or they will be put out of business if anglers don't use them!

Have a look at a good Korum stockist for rods, they do some really good tackle for the money. Korum stuff is well designed made to last gear that's affordable. Korum's parent Kompany is Preston's Innovations and their match gear is up there with anyone.

As for terminal tackle it's a minefield! I've been away from fishing a while and some of the end tackle these days is really good. Korum, Guru, Preston's Innovations Korda Drennan Diawa and Fox, all good gear.

If you intend fishing a canal you'll probably want a pole if you haven't got one. I can't advise on up to the minute poles but if you want one let me know your budget and I'll ask a couple of mates who are good match anglers.

Which river did you catch the chub from pal?

Thanks for the reply and info BMR, I will certainly look up the gear you have suggested, I always used barbless anyway but have literally dozens of packs of hooks/hooks to nylon etc and loads of line,the idea of backing up deep spools with the old stuff is great. The thought of rebuying stuff is quite appealing anyway(apart from the cost) and I will check out any local dealers too as I myself rely on local trade for my business. The river you asked about is the Weaver just above Nantwich. Its very small with deep holes and intimate swims and fast moving if even slightly high,but the satisfaction of catching decent fish out of it is great. I used to have 3/4 pegs in the field behind my house and move from one to another with either a trotting rig or small tip rod which were permanently set up in my garage, a great way of winding down after a hard day, and for the chub(and trout too) bread was the only bait needed. The thing is though, that for the last 30 years the above was literally the only fishing I have done, apart from the odd day ticket lake with mates(more of a social thing). This time however I want to wipe my fishing slate clean,forget any personal bests, and start again to include places/methods new to me, and hopefully take the hobby all the way through semi retirement/retirement and into old age(gulp), anyway, thanks again for the reply.

Ive finally got a chance to restart carp fishing later this week and im planning on having a day at Gawsworth (after toying with the idea of either Cudmore, Gawsworth or Bradshaws). Im looking to set 2 carp rods up on alarms with either boilie, pastel wafter or pellet. I had been hoping to get time for a run up to Gawsworth beforehand and eye up the lakes but haven't managed to so im going in blind as to which lake to fish. I had originally planned to fish Wall Pool but im not sure if this lake would be to small to use alarms? Ive also been looking at Wood Pool which looks to be bigger.
Im hoping someone can give me a recommendation? Maybe this is one for @BlueMoonRisin' as hes been recently! :)

Welcome back !

went up to Sandbach today, a place called field farm fisheries ,fished the sandy pool, beautiful fishing complex, the lake was pretty busy full of carpers and alarms,however i was there to try and beat my PB carp (16lb) so the lake was beautiful ,the weather was perfect, the lake held a good head of carp upto 26lb ,also held cats upto 44lbs,i got there early picked the perfect peg,the scene was set for me to smash my PB ,i threw in £20,000 of bait in,i cast 3,000,000,times, and i got a BIG FAT BLANK
still,i had a lovely day,the lad i usually fish with couldnt make it because he had hurt his back,but he surprised me with a greggs sausage roll and a yum yum :)
defo go again, even though i didnt catch its such a beautiful place i just didnt care

fishing next to me today was two dads with their two young sons , how i wished i had been taken fishing when i was that young, i feel ive missed 40 years of fishing ill never see :(

Ive finally got a chance to restart carp fishing later this week and im planning on having a day at Gawsworth (after toying with the idea of either Cudmore, Gawsworth or Bradshaws). Im looking to set 2 carp rods up on alarms with either boilie, pastel wafter or pellet. I had been hoping to get time for a run up to Gawsworth beforehand and eye up the lakes but haven't managed to so im going in blind as to which lake to fish. I had originally planned to fish Wall Pool but im not sure if this lake would be to small to use alarms? Ive also been looking at Wood Pool which looks to be bigger.
Im hoping someone can give me a recommendation? Maybe this is one for @BlueMoonRisin' as hes been recently! :)
I think Wood pool is best suited for carping pal. You can night fish and bivvy up with 2 rods.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.