Bluemoon Angling Thread

No, matches aren’t my thing. Did 3-4 junior matches in the early 80s. Like you, I’m a pleasure angler and I value peace and natural beauty more than anything. A bunch of blokes shoulder to shoulder is my idea of fishing hell although I respect them for the skills they have doing their thing.

Went out for a couple of hours with the lures again. One small fish in the river and then I found some in a canal marina, where I had four perch between half a pound and a pound.

I used to love fishing matches. I just really enjoy competing against other anglers and the randomness of the draw, which can give everybody an opportunity. It's usually a fun and friendly atmosphere too. On commercials it is a bit shoulder to shoulder but not too bad on natural venues. I really miss it and am looking forward to getting back into it when I return to the UK next year. That and City are the 2 things that make the prospect of returning bearable!

I also enjoy pleasure fishing and usually do that as practice for venues where I will have a match in the near future. Best of both worlds (for me at least).

Grabbed a short session after work tonight. Second cast at “the bridge” and I got a big pike hit then it all went slack. Bitten off. I’m now using a 5 foot long 6lb flouro trace after seeing how spooky the perch were on The Broads the other week. I’ve landed a couple of pike so it’s clearly not a major problem, and a tiny single hook jig will fall out in no time. I would not use this trace with treble hooks or big lures.

I didn’t labour the spot because it’s not been producing, so got in the car and drove to the marina where I had a few perch on Sunday. First cast and I had a fish of about 14oz. Second cast the wind blew the lure onto a jetty. That was lost and was my last green lure. I got into a bit of a mess then because I realised a had loads of small jig heads, loads of big jig heads but none right for the size of lure I’ve been catching on (about 5cm). Had a few casts with a crayfish and wasn’t happy: tried a couple of lures but the balance was not right so ended up rigging up a big white jig on a big hook basically because that’s all that was left.

You know what’s coming don’t you? First cast, between two barges, bang, a shaking head and I knew what was on. A plodding battle and he was in the net, and he was a beauty for The Calder. 2lb 1oz, all caught on camera. That, my friends, might just be a “wrap” on the film.View attachment 26773

Great Perch that Dave.
Any advice on how to stop them taking the hook/bait so deep inside their gobs?
I'm always having to use a discorger, especially with the little Perch(which I mainly catch), ta.
They are the worst fish of all for swallowing small baits so I’m afraid not. They don’t do it with lures but that doesn’t help if you’re pleasure fishing.

They are the worst fish of all for swallowing small baits so I’m afraid not. They don’t do it with lures but that doesn’t help if you’re pleasure fishing.
I think eels are worse for swallowing the hook deep.
No. They are apparently tasty but if we ate the coarse fish we catch in the uk there’d be nothing left in no time.
Eastern Europeans are doing all they can to empty our waters, thieving cunts.

I'm off to the Trent for a couple of nights later. Just getting my gear together.

I think eels are worse for swallowing the hook deep.

Eastern Europeans are doing all they can to empty our waters, thieving cunts.

I'm off to the Trent for a couple of nights later. Just getting my gear together.
You're right about eels because they are bastards to unhook too. I got bitten by one once.

Where are you fishing on The Trent mate? Tidal or not?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.