Bluemoon Angling Thread

You did well to catch a Mullet, I have sat & watched those beautiful fish for hours on the rocks (I was on the rocks they were in the water) near borth y gest but gave up trying to catch one years ago!

Decided to try a bit of sea fishing for View attachment 28206a change of scene and amused the locals by catching this mullet on freelined floating crust.
Nice eating those. Floating crust must have been the 'order of the day'. Had well over 200ib today on floating bread/crust. 14lb 4oz the best. Enjoyable on a 13 ft match rod and 8lb maxima :-). However, much, much sooner be Noggs catching wild fish in that sort of background. Anyhow, probably my last carp puddle visit until next spring.

Woke up to heavy rain and the worst thing is packing up wet gear when it's pissing down! : (

Good news is there's rain forecast for several days except Friday. That means it will fish it's bollocks off when it is on the rise with coloured water in it.

This has been my hardest session of the four recent trips I've fished here. First night I had 2 barbel, 1 I weighed, bang on 9lb. The other of similar size, maybe slightly bigger. Couldn't weigh it as my digital scales had condensation so couldn't see any display. 3 anglers(locals) nearest to me had one barbel each, biggest around 7lb so I'm more than holding my own on a very pressurised stretch, so I'm pleased about that.

Fished all day yesterday without even a bleep on the alarms. Thought I'd go shit or bust for a big barbel so put 2 18mm boilies on the bottom rod with crushed boilie and glugged pellets in a PVA bag. Several hours of recasting and still no bites. Had some supper and recast about 10pm and settled down in bed, hoping for one of my rods to scream off between 11 and 1am as this is normally a productive time to catch.

My bottom rod bleeped once, then another bleep and then a few slow bleep bleeps. I whipped my shoes on and head-torch hoping grandad whiskers had snaffled my 2 boilies. Struck into the fish and the rod arched round nicely, yes!. But I soon realised I'd been had by an eyes bigger than belly greedy bastard 3lb bream. Came in like a wet rag. I don't think the guy directly opposite me on Winthorpe helped my cause. The cheeky bastard cast over half way across river into my swim several times throughout the night, not proper angling etiquette IMO.

I first started match fishing the Trent as kid in the mid 70s when almost every peg was chockablock with silverfish. I pleasure fished it throughout the 80s and early 90s with my mates, big bags of chub roach and bream common place. Then marriage kids and work got in the way, and until recently I haven't fished on here for at least 5 years, but there's something magical to me about this mighty River, and part of that is it has specimen fish of almost every species. Plus it's the best river to catch a magical double figure barbel from. With all the high protein bait going in they are piling weight on year on year, unlike the 80s and 90s when a double figure fish was a very rare catch.

One thing I have learned on this river is to be friendly towards other anglers, especially ITK locals as several have given me valuable information on good swims, different stretches, baits and methods to use. It's not easy fishing on here much of the time because it's pressured and specimen fish have become wise to bait and tactics. But with the river about to rise it could and should fish really well. I'm hoping I can get back on here soon whilst it has extra coloured water on....

Nice eating those. Floating crust must have been the 'order of the day'. Had well over 200ib today on floating bread/crust. 14lb 4oz the best. Enjoyable on a 13 ft match rod and 8lb maxima :-). However, much, much sooner be Noggs catching wild fish in that sort of background. Anyhow, probably my last carp puddle visit until next spring.
Good fishing that, well done. Which carp puddle was that from pal?

Woke up to heavy rain and the worst thing is packing up wet gear when it's pissing down! : (

Good news is there's rain forecast for several days except Friday. That means it will fish it's bollocks off when it is on the rise with coloured water in it.

This has been my hardest session of the four recent trips I've fished here. First night I had 2 barbel, 1 I weighed, bang on 9lb. The other of similar size, maybe slightly bigger. Couldn't weigh it as my digital scales had condensation so couldn't see any display. 3 anglers(locals) nearest to me had one barbel each, biggest around 7lb so I'm more than holding my own on a very pressurised stretch, so I'm pleased about that.

Fished all day yesterday without even a bleep on the alarms. Thought I'd go shit or bust for a big barbel so put 2 18mm boilies on the bottom rod with crushed boilie and glugged pellets in a PVA bag. Several hours of recasting and still no bites. Had some supper and recast about 10pm and settled down in bed, hoping for one of my rods to scream off between 11 and 1am as this is normally a productive time to catch.

My bottom rod bleeped once, then another bleep and then a few slow bleep bleeps. I whipped my shoes on and head-torch hoping grandad whiskers had snaffled my 2 boilies. Struck into the fish and the rod arched round nicely, yes!. But I soon realised I'd been had by an eyes bigger than belly greedy bastard 3lb bream. Came in like a wet rag. I don't think the guy directly opposite me on Winthorpe helped my cause. The cheeky bastard cast over half way across river into my swim several times throughout the night, not proper angling etiquette IMO.

I first started match fishing the Trent as kid in the mid 70s when almost every peg was chockablock with silverfish. I pleasure fished it throughout the 80s and early 90s with my mates, big bags of chub roach and bream common place. Then marriage kids and work got in the way, and until recently I haven't fished on here for at least 5 years, but there's something magical to me about this mighty River, and part of that is it has specimen fish of almost every species. Plus it's the best river to catch a magical double figure barbel from. With all the high protein bait going in they are piling weight on year on year, unlike the 80s and 90s when a double figure fish was a very rare catch.

One thing I have learned on this river is to be friendly towards other anglers, especially ITK locals as several have given me valuable information on good swims, different stretches, baits and methods to use. It's not easy fishing on here much of the time because it's pressured and specimen fish have become wise to bait and tactics. But with the river about to rise it could and should fish really well. I'm hoping I can get back on here soon whilst it has extra coloured water on....
Don't fucking get me going on poor angling ettiquette. I've had a few rows on the bank with people being inconsiderate. Well done on the barbel anyway.

Ideal fishing day on the Severn today. Met a chap in the car park who'd forgotten his rods having come all the way from Stoke poor bugger.

Then got to my swim and realised I"d forgotten my groundbait which is a fundamental error when you are after bream. Only got open ended feeders to so blocking them off with mud. Only dace and gudgeon so far. Kicking myself !!!

20211024_115809.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.