Bluemoon Angling Thread

Ideal fishing day on the Severn today. Met a chap in the car park who'd forgotten his rods having come all the way from Stoke poor bugger.

Then got to my swim and realised I"d forgotten my groundbait which is a fundamental error when you are after bream. Only got open ended feeders to so blocking them off with mud. Only dace and gudgeon so far. Kicking myself !!!

View attachment 28527
Beautiful looking swim. Did it get any better? Late October fishing in remarkable temperatures for the time of year!

I've had 2-3 short local sessions over the last week or so. Caught a pike and a perch (I think) on lures. Also had an evening chucking a feeder full of chopped worm and a lob on the hook in the tiny gaps between boats on a marina. Had a perch and then a decent pike which gave me a great battle on 5lb line with no trace. I won the day though.

Just set up on the Trent for a 2 night sesh. River level is about normal, hope it rains till the river rises. These Trent barbel are mostly nocturnal which means 13 hours of darkness in which to hopefully catch one or two.

I think I better put my thermal underwear on as it's getting a bit nippy right now: )
Good luck mate. This week has been brilliant barbel conditions with it being warm, dark and wet. I’ve been dying to get out. The barbel aren’t nocturnal when the days are proper cloudy like this.

I’ve been out after perch every few days and had loads of pike to lures but the perch seem to have gone off the feed with the coloured water and temperature drop. Leaves are a pain in the arse too on the canals and rivers.

last night I had a couple of hours on a reservoir I fish occasionally because it was a dark, windy day and I got a proper pike lure rod out for the first time in ages to try to capitalise on this pike autumn feeding spree. This res is hardly fished because it’s a bastard of a walk but I once witnessed a 25lber caught by a noddy (who dropped it). Anyway, I hiked down the north face of the Eiger to get there, had two casts with a big rubber lure. Third cast and the rod snapped, an Abu Garcia one about a year or so old which was cheap and now I know why.

A hike back up the north face of the Eiger to get my perch rod which was in the car, a hike back down and there I am, sweating my bollocks off, forced into perch fishing. Time was running out and the light was going so I left the light perch tackle on, flouro trace and small jig. I walked around trying a couple of little lures and then at the last available spot on the (out of bounds) dam wall I hooked and landed a Jack about 4lb. It started to rain. I had another couple off casts and there was a bang, and something took off like a fucking F1 submarine, nearly yanked the rod out of my hands and then went slack. A massive pike had bitten through the flouro.

I shut the gate after the horse had bolted by putting on a trace like I should have at the beginning, and a bigger lure. But now it was nearly dark, the rain became torrential and I ripped the arse out of my jeans climbing back over the dam wall. I climbed back up the mountain seeing this as an opportunity missed.

Going to get my pike head on now for a while before the first frosts slow it down.

Good luck mate. This week has been brilliant barbel conditions with it being warm, dark and wet. I’ve been dying to get out. The barbel aren’t nocturnal when the days are proper cloudy like this.
Cheers DD,. Try and catch those like n' perch without your Noddy hat on next time mate ; )

Trent barbel on pressurised stretches have become nocturnal over the years. But you are right in that when the conditions are right they'll feed all day as l caught half a dozen in daylight the time before last when the river was rising.

I've carefully chosen my peg this time and opposite me there aren't any dug out pegs, so hopefully no cheeky **** will set up and poach my fish. I also have about100 yards of me either side to the nearest anglers so I'll try and build up my swim. Easy casting where I am as the deep channel is only a third the way across. Think it's time to make a brew and sort my sleeping bag out because it's gonna be a long and cold dark night.

Cheers DD,. Try and catch those like n' perch without your Noddy hat on next time mate ; )

Trent barbel on pressurised stretches have become nocturnal over the years. But you are right in that when the conditions are right they'll feed all day as l caught half a dozen in daylight the time before last when the river was rising.

I've carefully chosen my peg this time and opposite me there aren't any dug out pegs, so hopefully no cheeky **** will set up and poach my fish. I also have about100 yards of me either side to the nearest anglers so I'll try and build up my swim. Easy casting where I am as the deep channel is only a third the way across. Think it's time to make a brew and sort my sleeping bag out because it's gonna be a long and cold dark night.
I’m sure you’ll catch pal. Keep us informed.

Woke up for a piss about 1-30am and reeled in to re-bait. Fuck knows how long I'd had a daft 3lb bream on my bottom rod for as it didn't even give me a single bleep. At least I haven't blanked I suppose : /

Been awake a couple of hours now and was just about to nod off until I remembered I'd brought some sliced corned beef and a jar of piccalilli. Time for a butty and a brew I think, and I better check If I have another stealth like bream on.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.