Bluemoon Angling Thread

Currently on The River Wye. I’ve come down for a few days with my wife as all my kids are abroad. I thought I’d sneak a few short trips in. Yesterday was bright and sunny and I fished from 10-3, the worst time of all. I was quite amazed when the river started rising like lightning. I had two barbel but had to leave for family duty. Having dinner by the river last night it was close to full flood, with chocolate brown water and big logs coming down, so I kept the beer as low as I could and got up at 5 this morning knowing that dawn could be absolutely prime: a falling flood with low light.

So it proved. I had 4 barbel and 2 chub in the first hour or so before the sun came up. All 8-9lb and one of the chub, landed during a mad double hookup, was enormous. I’m leaving soon but this was a brilliant session.View attachment 90298
Where is that DD? Fancy a trip to the Wye over the next 6/8 weeks. Fishing location close to your 'digs', or travelling involved? Cheers.

Where is that DD? Fancy a trip to the Wye over the next 6/8 weeks. Fishing location close to your 'digs', or travelling involved? Cheers.
I’m a member of Prince Albert Angling Society, a big fishing club based from Macclesfield. They have a superb stretch of about 2 miles. I’ve had a few trips down here now and fished it lots of times. It’s excellent and not heavily fished. But there are loads of day ticket stretches on the Wye that are good too. You can book them online easily. It really is a lovely river.

There are loads of accommodation options. We are staying in a pub/hotel in Ross on Wye which is about £100 per night. But there are campsites, cheaper places, cottages, whatever you want really. What are you thinking? You can even bivvy up in certain areas.

Done a third morning on the Wye. Had four barbel and some chub and lost a couple including the elusive big one I was after. Lesson learned. I had one of 9lb 8oz (pictured here) which got snagged and free, but the lead was covered in a massive ball of weed entangling quite a big log. It made landing it a nightmare but I managed it. I forgot to check the line and recast, hooked a fucking submarine which raced across the river and the line parted at that exact point. Idiot.

Left at 12.30 to deal with a work situation but would have had more as I’d put a load of bait in and had two in the last two casts, and conditions are bang on. Had lunch with the wife and then had an hour trying out my new lure rod next to the pub. Had one quick hit but that was it. The rod is rubbish.

ABD82CC2-9BAA-4B52-B41F-AEB612AF1019.jpeg

Done a third morning on the Wye. Had four barbel and some chub and lost a couple including the elusive big one I was after. Lesson learned. I had one of 9lb 8oz (pictured here) which got snagged and free, but the lead was covered in a massive ball of weed entangling quite a big log. It made landing it a nightmare but I managed it. I forgot to check the line and recast, hooked a fucking submarine which raced across the river and the line parted at that exact point. Idiot.

Left at 12.30 to deal with a work situation but would have had more as I’d put a load of bait in and had two in the last two casts, and conditions are bang on. Had lunch with the wife and then had an hour trying out my new lure rod next to the pub. Had one quick hit but that was it. The rod is rubbish.

View attachment 90454
Look at the tail on that. The Wye is obviously still alive. Would love a week on there after Barbel.

Look at the tail on that. The Wye is obviously still alive. Would love a week on there after Barbel.
Every fish has been dark, well built and in perfect nick. All sizes too including one this morning about 1lb. I forgot what a super river it is but I’ve been really lucky with a big pulse of coloured water coming through on my first day and then slowly dropping. It’s still looking great for barbel even now and there’s not really any weed coming down, which did make it tricky yesterday. If I’d have had the time and inclination and fished all day I’d have had over a lot of barbel today and yesterday I suspect.

Every fish has been dark, well built and in perfect nick. All sizes too including one this morning about 1lb. I forgot what a super river it is but I’ve been really lucky with a big pulse of coloured water coming through on my first day and then slowly dropping. It’s still looking great for barbel even now and there’s not really any weed coming down, which did make it tricky yesterday. If I’d have had the time and inclination and fished all day I’d have had over a lot of barbel today and yesterday I suspect.

Like anywhere else, the weather conditions and, hence the water conditions, are critical to those red-letter days. But, sometimes, you just deserve it to fall right. Reading your posts over the last few months you've put in the hard yards and definitely earned it.

I’m a member of Prince Albert Angling Society, a big fishing club based from Macclesfield. They have a superb stretch of about 2 miles. I’ve had a few trips down here now and fished it lots of times. It’s excellent and not heavily fished. But there are loads of day ticket stretches on the Wye that are good too. You can book them online easily. It really is a lovely river.

There are loads of accommodation options. We are staying in a pub/hotel in Ross on Wye which is about £100 per night. But there are campsites, cheaper places, cottages, whatever you want really. What are you thinking? You can even bivvy up in certain areas.
Sorry DD, I could have sworn I replied to this. Not really sure to be honest, but now I have retired, I will have a lot of time on my hands, perfect for spontaneous fishing trips ( and the missus is still working !!). I used to work in Ross on Wye many moons ago so know the area well. I have also treated myself to a fox xd bivvy with inner dome and a dogs bollocks bed chair, oh and a portaloo:-), so ready for anything really. Congrats on your trip, you put the effort in with cracking results.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.