Bluemoon sang in 1981?

mikeyboy

Watching espn last night the ipswich fa cup semi final was on and at end of extra time heard 'bluemoon' being sung. i thought we only started this around the kinkladze era. can anyone confirm this or was i hearing things?

didnt think it was sung back then either, but unless espn 'overdubbed' the crowd noise with something from mid 90s onwards... i definitely heard it.

theres only one carlito said:
I thought it was sung for niall quinn when he scored a header in the box hence the lyric "You saw me standing alone" i might be wrong though.

The lyric you mention was nothing to do with Quinny, the words were put to the tune in the mid-1930s for an old American film, Manhattan Melodrama.<br /><br />-- Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm --<br /><br />
mikeyboy said:
didnt think it was sung back then either, but unless espn 'overdubbed' the crowd noise with something from mid 90s onwards... i definitely heard it.

This is quite possible. ESPN buy the old world cup matches from FIFA, but the FIFA recordings have no commentary on them and ESPN add the commentary on to them. That's how you get Gary Bloom commentating on matches from the 1970s, when he was still in short trousers.

Bilston Blue said:
theres only one carlito said:
I thought it was sung for niall quinn when he scored a header in the box hence the lyric "You saw me standing alone" i might be wrong though.

The lyric you mention was nothing to do with Quinny, the words were put to the tune in the mid-1930s for an old American film, Manhattan Melodrama.

-- Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:47 pm --

mikeyboy said:

This is quite possible. ESPN buy the old world cup matches from FIFA, but the FIFA recordings have no commentary on them and ESPN add the commentary on to them. That's how you get Gary Bloom commentating on matches from the 1970s, when he was still in short trousers.
Sorry m8 I think you miss understood my post I know we didnt make the lyrics up I meant we chose the song because of the lyrics. lol.

i distinctly remember us singing 'you'll never walk alone' around that era. on youtube there is a clip at the ipswich semi final with the holte end singing it with scarfs aloft

No chance it was sung at that game......Just after Kendall took over was the first time I heard it, might have been Norwich ( not The Trafford lot) away after securing safety....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.