Bluemoon sang in 1981?

The first Time I heard rumblings of it was at the Notts Forest game the game when the ball was headed out of Dibble`s hand by Gary Crosby then at the Villa game when we won 2-1 thats when it was sung proper by the away section.

Also It was Crewe who accused us of nicking it because they sang `Crewe Moon`
but I think this was later.

First time I remember hearing it was at Forest away (when the ball was headed out of Dibble's hand). Some lads were singing it near me when we were kept in after the match. Was a few weeks before that Villa away match, I think.

It was sung at the opening game of the season in 1989-90 at Anfield. A few lads started singing it as we started to make our way out of the away section.

That season it grew game after game and by the time Quinn was at the club it had become our anthem.

Gary James said:
It was sung at the opening game of the season in 1989-90 at Anfield. A few lads started singing it as we started to make our way out of the away section.

That season it grew game after game and by the time Quinn was at the club it had become our anthem.

But why, there must be a reason??

Out of interest, does anyone know why we only sing the Start of the Bluemoon song...??
Has the full version ever been sung before at games??

Blue Moon
You saw me standing alone
Without a dream in my heart
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon
You know just what I was there for
You heard me saying a prayer for
Someone I really could care for

And then there suddenly appeared before me
The only one my arms will ever hold
I heard somebody whisper please adore me
And then I looked to the Moon it turned to gold

Blue Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a love of my own

King Of The Kippax said:
Out of interest, does anyone know why we only sing the Start of the Bluemoon song...??

Blue Moon
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon

Blue Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a love of my own

I can't remember, but it would be good to sing:

First, so then by the time Blue Moon kicks in, it's already loud - i.e. like My father... leading onto Hark now hear!

King Of The Kippax said:

Blue Moon
Without a love of my own

Blue Moon

Blue Moon
Now I'm no longer alone
Without a love of my own

Of course it hasn't. The first verse is all which has ever been sung.

However in the early years of the song a version which was "5-1, we beat United 5-1" was sung. Also United had a version which I think was this:

Blue Moon, you started singing too soon
You thought you'd beat us 3-1 (before that 3-3 game it was "you won't be singing for long")
Now Howard Kendall has gone

Then the song took off with all the other clubs in different versions.

Gary James said:

I was struggling to remember which game I first heard it , bit once again Gary you're bang on. I recall just a handful of lads singing it as we were coming out . Two lads in particular seemed to have had one or two shandy's and appeared to be singing it to each other which amused me at the time - thats the main reason I can still recall it.

Born to be Blue said:
Gary James said:

I was struggling to remember which game I first heard it , bit once again Gary you're bang on. I recall just a handful of lads singing it as we were coming out . Two lads in particular seemed to have had one or two shandy's and appeared to be singing it to each other which amused me at the time - thats the main reason I can still recall it.

You must have been near me. That's exactly how I saw it. I don't know the names of the lads (who would be in their 40s now) but I do know they were regulars. I used to see them at many away games and would be able to point one of them out in a line-up if I had to.

Why they chose Blue Moon is questionable. Crewe were singing the song, or a version of it, before City so it's possible these lads got it from there. I don't know, but like many football moments it's not entirely clear why it started.

This was a time when clubs started to adopt new songs (rather than adapted chants). Delilah and Always Look On The Brightside Of Life are two others that stuck around for a bit (Delilah still survives like Blue Moon).

The Utd version mentioned above about Kendall was memorable and possibly helped our singing of it become more established.

For me, Blue Moon sort of took over from the Banana craze. They're not directly related but the banana craze started to die when we won promotion in 1989 and Blue Moon seemed to be its replacement. For me, it was more appropriate for the top flight than carrying a banana.

Gary James said:

Correct Gary. That was the first time I heard it sung... Liverpool away, first game.. think we went 1-0 up as well.... the lads were sat behind me and were trying to get it going all the match

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.