Bluemoon Under The Cartel's Irish Academic Microscope?

This wouldn't even be up for any kind of debate if SM owned the rags or red dips...not a chance
everybody knows this, but what they are trying to do with this article is infer that city fans are some kind of crackpot fanbase that is so enamoured with winning that we refuse to see any faults within the club and therefore they must be right, it is gaslighting in its purest form and its quite embarrassing from a supposed academic.

Using full quotes from online forums without some form of editing is widely regarded to be bad practice, and you wouldn't get it published in many of the top journals in and around internet studies. If people recognise their own comments in the piece they're well within their right to submit a complaint to the journal's editors and/or request to see the ethical clearance that was submitted to the university itself.

For what it's worth, people's comments about the lack of engagement around key texts in and around international development and sport and studies about fans are slim or wholey absent. "Sports washing" is a tabloidy term that, imo, produces a lot of heat without a lot of light and there is a reason they're having to define it outside of the academic ecosystem.

It's not a very good article. People's instincts that they knew what they wanted to say before they got ethical clearance, if they even got ethical clearance, and went out to prove feel very, very correct.

everybody knows this, but what they are trying to do with this article is infer that city fans are some kind of crackpot fanbase that is so enamoured with winning that we refuse to see any faults within the club and therefore they must be right, it is gaslighting in its purest form and its quite embarrassing from a supposed academic.
Every kid’s an academic these days. The sooner they realise it means next to nowt the better.

Oh totally agree mate but if they'd wanted to prove the insanity of any fan base they needn't have looked any further than RAWK . It would have saved them time, money and the dismantling of their academic proclamations, but might of course have led to their houses being torched.

There was a point in the article I found interesting. It is asserted that no posters on here appear to have any thought or issues with events and the conditions of life in the UAE. I'm not sure that's right is it?

Using full quotes from online forums without some form of editing is widely regarded to be bad practice, and you wouldn't get it published in many of the top journals in and around internet studies. If people recognise their own comments in the piece they're well within their right to submit a complaint to the journal's editors and/or request to see the ethical clearance that was submitted to the university itself.

For what it's worth, people's comments about the lack of engagement around key texts in and around international development and sport and studies about fans are slim or wholey absent. "Sports washing" is a tabloidy term that, imo, produces a lot of heat without a lot of light and there is a reason they're having to define it outside of the academic ecosystem.

It's not a very good article. People's instincts that they knew what they wanted to say before they got ethical clearance, if they even got ethical clearance, and went out to prove feel very, very correct.
If they’ve used one of my quotes from the muffin/barm debate I am going to be livid.

I don’t know about sportswashing as it was only invented by some nerdy, glory hunting dick posing as a journalist as another put down to City and our fans, but there is definitely some gaslighting going on and it seems most of it comes out of the mouths of those cheeky little bandwagon reds from the emerald isles who’s chest puffing down Templebar carry’s far less impact of late.

Emirates FA Cup
Emirates sponsorship of Arsenal
Emirates Stadium - Arsenal (and many others around the world, inc Old Trafford Cricket Ground)
Visit Rwanda sponsor Arsenal
Standard Charters' sponsorship of Liverpool
Emirates sponsor Real Madrid
Qatar sponsored Barcelona
Riyadh Air sponsor Atletico Madrid
Emirates sponsors the Rugby World Cup
Emirates sponsors the World Rugby Sevens
Emirates sponsors the NZ team in the America's Cup.
F1, Tennis, Golf, Boxing, Ironman Series, and Horse Racing, all host events in the Middle East or take their sponsorship money.
Not to mention Liverpool and United's previous sponsorships and agreements with Saudi, Russian, and other Middle Eastern 'state-owned' companies.

But of course, it's City fans that legitimize 'sport washing'.
Less of your whatabouteryismwashing please.

There was a point in the article I found interesting. It is asserted that no posters on here appear to have any thought or issues with events and the conditions of life in the UAE. I'm not sure that's right is it?
My response to that particular point was "As a supporter who is deeply invested in the club's success, I can attest to the fact that our fan community is characterized by a diverse range of opinions and viewpoints on the matter of club ownership. While there may be some who question the ethical implications of MCFC's financial backing, there are many others who celebrate the team's achievements and view them as separate from broader geopolitical concerns."

He audaciously failed to interact with fans directly. Instead, he centered his entire article on an online forum. There's no assurance he didn't create multiple fake accounts to support his own views.

His piece is riddled with flaws and lacks a solid foundation, it needs removing.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.