Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

Been following this thread and fair play to all involved. Some great musical knowledge on show.
I've only ever bought 3 albums in my life, the first two Oasis ones and Carry on up the charts by Beautiful South.
Surprised the latter didn't scrape the top 100 at least, never tire of listening to it.
You've gone up in my estimation @BlueHammer85, fair fucks for the effort you've put in.

Been following this thread and fair play to all involved. Some great musical knowledge on show.
I've only ever bought 3 albums in my life, the first two Oasis ones and Carry on up the charts by Beautiful South.
Surprised the latter didn't scrape the top 100 at least, never tire of listening to it.
You've gone up in my estimation @BlueHammer85, fair fucks for the effort you've put in.
Compilation and live albums were excluded

I like Floyd and the Smiths, both a lot. I think some of Morrissey's turns-of-phrase are very clever. DSOTM is a lovely record (thank you, Alan Parsons).

However, ain't no one in either band who is any kind of "genius." They're pop musicians.

DSOTM bemoans how difficult life is for rich, popular rock stars, boo friggetty hoo.

Though I suppose whining and complaining is timeless (look at the post I'm writing right now!)
I’d agree with your summation of Floyd for wish You Were Here more than DSOTM. The latter being more about time and realisation of getting old and the rat race we’re in yes. Money not withstanding. Us and Them, I get the comparison but it’s not really talking about the music industry per se. WYWH is much more acerbic.
Both brilliant albums but I think the universal appeal of DSOTM is the timeless lyrics as much as the music.

I basically agree they both have a turn of phrase but I can’t help that Morrissey just doesn’t do it for me.
The subject matter strikes me as more local than outward looking to the rest of the world. Marr to me is what makes me like any of their music. I don’t own any of their stuff. I only know what I’ve heard through various different channels. My wife’s friend’s kids idolise them.

Having said all that I do think How Soon Is Now is the perfect marriage of Morrissey and Marr. They got it right there. A lot of the rest of the stuff mentioned in here, I just go....,Meh! Whatever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.