Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Albums

I’d agree with your summation of Floyd for wish You Were Here more than DSOTM. The latter being more about time and realisation of getting old and the rat race we’re in yes. Money not withstanding. Us and Them, I get the comparison but it’s not really talking about the music industry per se. WYWH is much more acerbic.
Both brilliant albums but I think the universal appeal of DSOTM is the timeless lyrics as much as the music.

I basically agree they both have a turn of phrase but I can’t help that Morrissey just doesn’t do it for me.
The subject matter strikes me as more local than outward looking to the rest of the world. Marr to me is what makes me like any of their music. I don’t own any of their stuff. I only know what I’ve heard through various different channels. My wife’s friend’s kids idolise them.

Having said all that I do think How Soon Is Now is the perfect marriage of Morrissey and Marr. They got it right there. A lot of the rest of the stuff mentioned in here, I just go....,Meh! Whatever.

And I would argue WYWH is entirely a lament for Syd which makes it more personal. In that context the jibes at the music business are about what it’s done to create the sad tale that became their former friend and band mate. More acerbic and more personal is good (which is why, say, The Colour and the Shape is by FAR Dave Grohl’s best record — it’s personal, about his divorce).

But fair point regarding the universal appeal (and lushness of sound by extension) of Dark Side. I do love them both. But only in certain moments (like, errrr, late nights in college with a certain bit of herbal refreshment and some sort of miniature fire-starting device nearby) because you can’t dance to them, and you don’t blast them at top volume to rock out to them, which are two characteristics of nearly every record in my top 20.

4. Oasis - Definitely Maybe 12/146

View attachment 2587

Definitely Maybe is the debut studio album by English rock band Oasis, released by Creation Records on 29 August 1994. The album was an immediate commercial and critical success in the United Kingdom, having followed on the heels of the singles "Supersonic", "Shakermaker", and "Live Forever". The album went straight to number one in the UK Albums Chart and became the fastest-selling debut album in the UK at the time; it went on to be certified 7× Platinum (2.1 million+ sales) by the BPI. Definitely Maybe marked the beginning of Oasis's success in the United States, selling over one million copies there despite only peaking at 58 on the Billboard 200. The album went on to sell over 8 million copies worldwide and brought widespread critical acclaim.

Definitely Maybe helped to spur a revitalisation in British pop music in the 1990s, and was embraced by critics for its optimistic themes and rejection of the negative outlook of the grunge music of the time. The album is regarded as a seminal entry of the Britpop scene, and has appeared in many publications' lists of the greatest albums of all time. In 2006, the NME conducted a readers' poll in which Definitely Maybe was voted the greatest album of all time.

Definitely Maybe is the first and only album to feature Tony McCarroll who was fired from the band in 1995.

1. Rock 'N' Roll Star

2. Shakermaker
3. Live Forever
4. Up In The Sky
5. Columbia
6. Supersonic
7. Bring It On Down
8. Cigarettes & Alcohol
9. Digsy's Dinner
10. Slide Away

11. Married With Children

Bluehammer Fact: The solo in “Live Forever” was originally twice as long. Producer/mixer Owen Morris cut it down because, as he says in the documentary marking the album’s 10-year anniversary, “I thought it was a bit like fucking Slash from Guns N’ Roses.”

If I'd limited myself to one album per artist, this would have made the Top 20. Doubt that I have played an album released since 1989 more than this one.

Rumours Or White Album wouldn’t make my top 100. Ziggy would.
So f**king what' it was open for all of us to put their own 20 fav's up there end of. We all knew the rules, so more like Rumours than WYWH so what.
A load more like Oassis and The stone roses ;-)

And I would argue WYWH is entirely a lament for Syd which makes it more personal. In that context the jibes at the music business are about what it’s done to create the sad tale that became their former friend and band mate. More acerbic and more personal is good (which is why, say, The Colour and the Shape is by FAR Dave Grohl’s best record — it’s personal, about his divorce).

But fair point regarding the universal appeal (and lushness of sound by extension) of Dark Side. I do love them both. But only in certain moments (like, errrr, late nights in college with a certain bit of herbal refreshment and some sort of miniature fire-starting device nearby) because you can’t dance to them, and you don’t blast them at top volume to rock out to them, which are two characteristics of nearly every record in my top 20.

The thing with both of those albums is that the lyrics still work and both albums still sound fantastic.

So f**king what' it was open for all of us to put their own 20 fav's up there end of. We all knew the rules, so more like Rumours than WYWH so what.
A load more like Oassis and The stone roses ;-)
Oh sorry mate. Did I not have your permission to post my opinion. Will surely get it next time.

If I'd limited myself to one album per artist, this would have made the Top 20. Doubt that I have played an album released since 1989 more than this one.
I based my top 20 on that rule - what artists do I play the most, and limited to one album per artist.
I expected ‘definitely maybe’ to be high, and I’ll expect the stone roses along shortly. Other than that I had SLF, The La’s, and different albums for Talk Talk and Pearl Jam. So 6.
I would have Bowie, for 7, but couldn’t pick an album higher than the ones I picked, though he’d be no 1, in artists top 20.

I always preferred WYWH too but the universal appeal is there in DSOTM that consistently puts it ahead in polls.
These were albums that were meant to be played from start to finish. Not track skipping. The order was important and very considered by the producers.
Punk did away with that concept stuff, by and large. What progressed after including The Smiths, into the 90’s the end of CD’s and the era of download has totally killed the concept of top 100 albums in my head.
People don’t listen to music like that anymore. I know I don’t. Not generally anyway.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.