Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Books

By the way, a book that's incredibly out of fashion to the point of oblivion, but one I think is a masterpiece of 19th century fiction: The Egoist by George Meredith. A brilliant satirical study of exactly what it says on the tin. Egoism, of the upper-class, male variety, especially as seen by the various women that he tramples over.
I might have a look for that.
An author seemingly out of fashion is Wilkie Collins, love some of his stuff.

I might have a look for that.
An author seemingly out of fashion is Wilkie Collins, love some of his stuff.
The style is kind of peculiar, almost baroque, but stick with it, mate. You will have discovered a forgotten masterpiece. Collins is definitely someone I need to explore. Didn't Dickens rate him highly, iirc?

The style is kind of peculiar, almost baroque, but stick with it, mate. You will have discovered a forgotten masterpiece. Collins is definitely someone I need to explore. Didn't Dickens rate him highly, iirc?

Think so, yes.

Oooh trivia!

Dickens wanted to start a new magazine and asked Collins to write a story quickly for serialisation. Collins complied and wrote The woman in white and Dickens wrote A tale of two cities at the same time.

The Moonstone is sometimes described as the first detective novel, I think. Some of the style is hard going now, but it's very good.

Similarly, the Castle of Otranto, as the first gothic novel, 100 years before the Moonstone.

Think so, yes.
You read some proper shite Macca :))

If i see anything to do with Bronte, i think of you. It scares me

1984 number 1 .....A book i have tried to read about 50 times and cannot get into it. I love Orwell too, i am currently reading his essay's on Fascism and Democracy. Read pretty much everything else he has ever written.

My highlight being reading "Homage to Catalonia" sat outside a small bar in George Orwell Square in Barcelona. You can soak up the atmosphere of the book and still see the bullet holes in the wall. Plus the beer was a lot cheaper than on Las Ramblas

You read some proper shite Macca :))

If i see anything to do with Bronte, i think of you. It scares me

1984 number 1 .....A book i have tried to read about 50 times and cannot get into it. I love Orwell too, i am currently reading his essay's on Fascism and Democracy. Read pretty much everything else he has ever written.

My highlight being reading "Homage to Catalonia" sat outside a small bar in George Orwell Square in Barcelona. You can soak up the atmosphere of the book and still see the bullet holes in the wall. Plus the beer was a lot cheaper than on Las Ramblas
Lol!!
You wanker ;-) xx

Six weeks later, I've finally finished "The Stand". A big thanks to everybody who recommended it because it was every bit as good as you said it would be. The characterisation was superb and on my "one book per author in the top 20" policy, it goes straight into my top 5 books of all time.

I thought that such an epic work or art deserved an in-depth (although spoiler-free) review, so I've put my thoughts on my blog:-

I'm half way through The Stand and it's really brilliant upto now.
I've got all my reading for this year from the books in this top 100.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.