Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

I expect retrospective action to be taken against @Mad Eyed Screamer as it clearly states in the code of conduct that deliberately WUM'ing the forum is ban worthy.

I have to clarify that I'm not referring to this prank, I thought it was actually very funny.

When calling for action to be taken for WUM'ing, it's for his continued insistence on inflicting Morrissey based posts and threads upon us all.
Wait 3 more days until the Morrissey biopic England Is Mine is announced as No 1...... I know for a fact that 24 "members" of this site voted it as their number one film.... Took me ages to register each account...... I mean my friends said it took a while for them to register.....

3. The Godfather Part II 17/225

1604566472898.png

The Godfather Part II is a 1974 American epic crime film produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from the screenplay co-written with Mario Puzo, starring Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro, Talia Shire, Morgana King, John Cazale, Mariana Hill, and Lee Strasberg. It is the second installment in The Godfather trilogy. Partially based on Puzo's 1969 novel The Godfather, the film is both sequel and prequel to The Godfather, presenting parallel dramas: one picks up the 1958 story of Michael Corleone (Pacino), the new Don of the Corleone family, protecting the family business in the aftermath of an attempt on his life; the prequel covers the journey of his father, Vito Corleone (De Niro), from his Sicilian childhood to the founding of his family enterprise in New York City.

Following the success of the first film, Paramount Pictures began developing a follow up to the film, with much of the same cast and crew returning. Coppola, who was given more creative control over the film, had wanted to make both a sequel and a prequel to the film that would tell the story of the rise of Vito and the fall of Michael. Principal photography began in October 1973 and wrapped up in June 1974. The Godfather Part II premiered in New York City on December 12, 1974, and was released in the United States on December 20, 1974, receiving divided reviews from critics but its reputation, however, improved rapidly and it soon became the subject of critical re-evaluation. It grossed between $48–88 million worldwide on a $13 million budget. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards at the 47th Academy Awards and became the first sequel to win for Best Picture. Its six Oscar wins also included Best Director for Coppola, Best Supporting Actor for De Niro and Best Adapted Screenplay for Coppola and Puzo. Pacino won the BAFTA Award for Best Actor and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor.

Some have deemed it superior to The Godfather. Both Part II and its predecessor remain highly influential films, especially in the gangster genre, and are considered to be among the greatest films of all time. In 1997, the American Film Institute ranked it as the 32nd-greatest film in American film history and it retained this position 10 years later. It was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1993, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The Godfather Part III, the third and final installment in the trilogy, was released in 1990.

Well, we've had a lot of good films so far, and some odd choices (I'm looking at you "Step Brothers"), but with 10 to go, I thought I'd take a punt at what the top 10 might be. This is based not on my personal choices (only two of these are in my top #20), but on a combination of classic films that usually pop up in these things. There's four in here that I haven't even seen.

1. Jaws
2. The Godfather
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. The Godfather Part II
5. Goodfellas
6. Alien
7. Blade Runner
8. Pulp Fiction
9. Apocalypse Now
10. Gladiator
Not looking far off at all. I think the two 2 & 3 will now see out the top 10.

3. The Godfather Part II 17/225

View attachment 4988

The Godfather Part II is a 1974 American epic crime film produced and directed by Francis Ford Coppola from the screenplay co-written with Mario Puzo, starring Al Pacino, Robert Duvall, Diane Keaton, Robert De Niro, Talia Shire, Morgana King, John Cazale, Mariana Hill, and Lee Strasberg. It is the second installment in The Godfather trilogy. Partially based on Puzo's 1969 novel The Godfather, the film is both sequel and prequel to The Godfather, presenting parallel dramas: one picks up the 1958 story of Michael Corleone (Pacino), the new Don of the Corleone family, protecting the family business in the aftermath of an attempt on his life; the prequel covers the journey of his father, Vito Corleone (De Niro), from his Sicilian childhood to the founding of his family enterprise in New York City.

Following the success of the first film, Paramount Pictures began developing a follow up to the film, with much of the same cast and crew returning. Coppola, who was given more creative control over the film, had wanted to make both a sequel and a prequel to the film that would tell the story of the rise of Vito and the fall of Michael. Principal photography began in October 1973 and wrapped up in June 1974. The Godfather Part II premiered in New York City on December 12, 1974, and was released in the United States on December 20, 1974, receiving divided reviews from critics but its reputation, however, improved rapidly and it soon became the subject of critical re-evaluation. It grossed between $48–88 million worldwide on a $13 million budget. The film was nominated for eleven Academy Awards at the 47th Academy Awards and became the first sequel to win for Best Picture. Its six Oscar wins also included Best Director for Coppola, Best Supporting Actor for De Niro and Best Adapted Screenplay for Coppola and Puzo. Pacino won the BAFTA Award for Best Actor and was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor.

Some have deemed it superior to The Godfather. Both Part II and its predecessor remain highly influential films, especially in the gangster genre, and are considered to be among the greatest films of all time. In 1997, the American Film Institute ranked it as the 32nd-greatest film in American film history and it retained this position 10 years later. It was selected for preservation in the U.S. National Film Registry of the Library of Congress in 1993, being deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant". The Godfather Part III, the third and final installment in the trilogy, was released in 1990.

This was number 2 on my list.

Possibly the greatest sequel ever (TESB other contender); certainly the greatest sequel / prequel.

A contender for the greatest movie ever made because it's hard to decide whether or not it is better than Part 1; wonder which way I voted this time.

Magnificent epic film making from Coppola and lots of great performances from a very strong cast headed by my two favourite actors: Bob (DN) & Al. Bobby Duvall is fantastic too.

A vastly superior movie to Shawshank but this list is about favourites.

Had this as I think most will have, great film. Change my mind a lot which is best first or second film. Think I will end up with 16 out of 20 in my list.

Correct decision. The first one is better.

I think some people prefer the second one because it feels more epic, because it includes the two storylines, but I think the first one is the better film.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.