Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

On tonight, BBC2 HD @ 22:35

RFQowwV.jpg

The Revenant (2015)

Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy & Domhnall Gleeson

In 1823, a fur trapper treks through the snowy wilderness to track down a member of his hunting team who killed his young son and left him for dead.

On tonight, TCM HD @ 21:00

Ud6mPA9.jpg

The Matrix (1999)

Starring Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Ann Moss & Hugo Weaving

A computer hacker discovers his world is actually a computer simulation created by an evil cyber intellligence.

I watched all three Godfather films in the last week or so. I was only going to watch the first two, given their general acclaim but thought I might as well see how it all plays out.

Anyway, really enjoyed the films. I’m happy to say that my preconception that it was all about gun-toting smug gits was wrong – alright, there was a fair bit of stereotypical killing, but the heart of the films were about Michael Corleone and how he got sucked into a violent and turbulent life against his initial instincts. Although it seemed that some of what happened could have been avoided, it was ultimately the tale of a tragic life, and in this respect, I found the very final lonely scene of Part III both poignant and quite moving.

I think Part II was the best film – the Vito thread was really well executed and served as an effective origin story for the trilogy.

Despite the length of each film, I was never bored, although I think Coppola did overdo some of the wedding/party scenes – these were the only places the films sagged.

On tonight, Film4 HD @ 01:05

NKiBcLp.jpg

True Grit (2010)

Starring Hailee Steinfeld, Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon & Josh Brolin

A 14-year-old Mattie Ross, enlists the help of grizzly US Marshal Rooster Cogburn to track down her father's killer into hostile Indian territory.

I've still to see a lot of the classics and greats on this list like Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, The Revenant, 12 Angry Men, No Country for Old Men, Indiana Jones films, Cool Hand Luke, Big Lebowski, Deer Hunter, It's a Wonderful Life etc. I hope to rectify that in coming months. I have been going to watch Apocalypse now since like 2012, I am such a procrastinator.

I'm surprised that Invasion of the Body Snatchers didn't make it on, either version. The 70s one was great, I might have missed it on the list. I don't see City of God either. And Son of Saul and There Will be Blood are supposedly great movies.

By the way is Venom the Tom Hardy superhero one? I like the film and love the character, but most people consider it shite. One of the top 100 films ever? I can think of loads of better superhero movies. Sorry if it's another Venom.

Last edited:
Not a single "forin'" language film broke into the BM Top 100 list.

Half of my film nominations required subtitles.

Boo-urns.
Yeah I have no qualms about watching stuff with subtitles. Plan to watch some Scandi/Nordic drama (already seen the Killing and Broen is next on my list), and I like anime from Japan, sometimes subbed rather than dubbed. Reading subtitles has never been an issue for me, in fact it helps me concentrate on the movie or series as I have a problem with attention span sometimes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.