Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

17. Monty Python's Life Of Brian 7/94

View attachment 4185

Monty Python's Life of Brian, also known as Life of Brian, is a 1979 British comedy film starring and written by the comedy group Monty Python (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, Terry Jones and Michael Palin). It was also directed by Jones. The film tells the story of Brian Cohen (played by Chapman), a young Jewish man who is born on the same day as—and next door to—Jesus Christ, and is subsequently mistaken for the Messiah.

Following the withdrawal of funding by EMI Films just days before production was scheduled to begin, long-time Monty Python fan and former member of the Beatles, George Harrison, arranged financing for Life of Brian through the formation of his company HandMade Films.

The film's themes of religious satire were controversial at the time of its release, drawing accusations of blasphemy and protests from some religious groups. Thirty-nine local authorities in the United Kingdom either imposed an outright ban, or imposed an X (18 years) certificate. Some countries, including Ireland and Norway, banned its showing, with a few of these bans lasting decades. The filmmakers used such notoriety to benefit their marketing campaign, with posters in Sweden reading, "So funny, it was banned in Norway!"

The film was a box office success, the fourth-highest-grossing film in the United Kingdom in 1979, and highest grossing of any British film in the United States that year. It has remained popular and was named "greatest comedy film of all time" by several magazines and television networks

Love it.
Completely forgot it on my list though.

Except that a big budget version of "The Stand" starts on US TV in December - no word on UK dates/channels yet.

Oh really. That's interesting.

The Stand is a contender for my favourite novel. I finally got round to reading the extended version during lock down: seemed just the right subject matter. I'd had the hardback sat on a shelf since publication. I read the original in paperback way back when.

There's been two decent TV series of King books recently that I have seen (The Outsider & Mr Mercedes Series 1) and all that had me thinking it's about time The Stand got that treatment (again).

The Institute would also make a decent mini series.

The Stand is probably one of my favourites but obviously a series as opposed to a film. Be good to do a remake with a bigger budget, though now isn't the time! Haha!
The Gunslinger (Dark Tower) is the most disappointing for me. Read the series of books over the course of a few years and found the movie adaptation to be, well, a bit wank.

I fell behind in reading King books and am trying to catch-up. I only ever got part way through the Dark Tower books and they are not my favourite but I will get back to the series once I've finished everything else.

I think we may have discussed this subject before.

Long time since I saw that movie and it was decent but I'm pretty sure I found it a tad disappointing.

People have mentioned
Stand by Me
Shawshank
and Green Mile.

The first two were definitely a match for the books - maybe as much as anything because they were short stories.

I seem to recall Misery was a decent effort too.
Misery wasn’t bad as a film.

Reactions: OB1
Oh really. That's interesting.

The Stand is a contender for my favourite novel. I finally got round to reading the extended version during lock down: seemed just the right subject matter. I'd had the hardback sat on a shelf since publication. I read the original in paperback way back when.

There's been two decent TV series of King books recently that I have seen (The Outsider & Mr Mercedes Series 1) and all that had me thinking it's about time The Stand got that treatment (again).

The Institute would also make a decent mini series.

I haven't read as many of his books as I should - when I mentioned the other day that I only saw "The Shining" last Christmas, I read the book and then watched the film a month later. Thought they were both good.

I need to read "The Stand", but it seems such an undertaking at 1400+ pages. A lot of books I read are large, but that is something else. By the way, have you read Justin Cronin's "The Passage" trilogy? Often compared to "The Stand" and I enjoyed it immensely. The first 250 pages of the first book is some of the best writing I have ever read.

Got my eye on watching "The Outsider", it looks an interesting premise.

Reactions: OB1
The way this vote is spinning, Ghostbusters (1984) could make it 5 G's.
4lwGnSf.gif
I am still clinging on in hope that Carry On Camping is still to come....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.