Bluemoon's Official Top 100 Films

Aliens really did just miss out on my Top 20.

Off the top of my head, I'd rank it as one of the four best sequels ever made; tow of which made my top 20, the other one that didn't was Toy Story 2.

I prefer and rate more highly Alien than Aliens but there's very little in it.

Aliens really did just miss out on my Top 20.

Off the top of my head, I'd rank it as one of the four best sequels ever made; tow of which made my top 20, the other one that didn't was Toy Story 2.

I prefer and rate more highly Alien than Aliens but there's very little in it.

sequels better than the original is a good debate

i'd personally go Terminator 2, Back To Future 2, possibly Godfather.

16. Aliens 8/94

View attachment 4237

Aliens is a 1986 American science fiction action film written and directed by James Cameron, produced by Gale Anne Hurd and starring Sigourney Weaver. The second installment in the Alien franchise, it follows Ellen Ripley (Weaver) as she returns to the moon where her crew encountered the hostile Alien creature, this time accompanied by a unit of space marines. Additional roles are played by Carrie Henn, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein, William Hope, Al Matthews, and Bill Paxton.

Gordon Carroll, David Giler, and Walter Hill of Brandywine Productions, who produced the first Alien (1979) and its later sequels, served as executive producers. They were immediately interested in a sequel to Alien, but the new management at 20th Century Fox postponed plans until 1983. Brandywine picked Cameron to write after reading his script for The Terminator (1984); when that film became a hit, Fox greenlit Aliens with Cameron as director and a budget of $18 million. It was filmed in England at Pinewood Studios and a decommissioned power plant in Acton, London.

Aliens was released on July 18, 1986, and grossed $180 million worldwide. It was nominated for seven Academy Awards, including a Best Actress nomination for Sigourney Weaver, winning Sound Effects Editing and Visual Effects. It won eight Saturn Awards (Best Science Fiction Film, Best Actress for Weaver, Best Supporting Actor for Paxton, Best Supporting Actress for Goldstein, and Best Direction and Best Writing for Cameron), and a Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation. Empire magazine voted it the "Greatest Film Sequel of All Time". Aliens was the seventh-highest-grossing film of 1986 in North America. Alien 3 was released in 1992, with Weaver reprising her role as Ripley and Henriksen as Bishop.

Thought the first one was better.

sequels better than the original is a good debate

i'd personally go Terminator 2, Back To Future 2, possibly Godfather.
BTTF2? No way. Terminator 2 - definitely.

Godfather - here's where I admit I've seen neither of them. Keep meaning to put that right, keep skipping it because gangsters is not really my genre.

BTTF2? No way. Terminator 2 - definitely.

Godfather - here's where I admit I've seen neither of them. Keep meaning to put that right, keep skipping it because gangsters is not really my genre.

Probably the last time we'll see Rob on here after that. He'll be sleeping with the fishes in no time. May I be the first to say RIP.

Worth noting that the great Walter Hill has a writing credit on Aliens.

I still prefer the first Alien film though. A film which broke new guts, as it were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.