Bluemoon's Official Top 100 TV Shows

I enjoyed the first season of The Bridge but I didn’t care for the characterisation of the main character. It stereotypes high-functioning autism/aspergers.
Fair point, although IIRC, they never actually had an on-screen diagnosis. That was one of the things I liked about it: it wasn't here's Saga, she suffers from x,y, z. You just got to know her and how she behaved as the series progressed.

Right, completely ignorant — which is why I caveated my last response the way I did.

But then again, a “City fan in Africa or America” can also know more about football than some steeped in the “culture and background of the club”.
I love Seinfeld and know fuck all about New York. Comedy is comedy. You don’t need to learn a culture to laugh at Kramer falling over, the Bubble Boy, the soup Nazi, Newman spewing his bile, a wanking contest etc

I had 9 comedies in my list - 4 American and 5 British - plus 2 more American ones (Seinfeld & Scrubs) that just missed out. None of my British choices have featured yet, but 4 of the 6 American ones have (Seinfeld, Frasier, The US Office and, my top pick, The Larry Sanders Show). Quality writing is quality writing on both sides of the pond, and shite is shite! What makes the good American ones stand out even further is their longevity. 100, 150, 200 episodes, no problem!

I must say that I generally prefer US sitcoms. In the end though I only had one token sitcom in my list.

Anyone remember the thick of it episode when the minister goes up a kids play slide to get some reception...
The newspapers splash it all over the front pages as if he was doing it to piss around.
cracked up so much at that part.

I love Seinfeld and know fuck all about New York. Comedy is comedy. You don’t need to learn a culture to laugh at Kramer falling over, the Bubble Boy, the soup Nazi, Newman spewing his bile, a wanking contest etc
I think the poster's point was I must not know much about the UK to understand why Seinfeld would be rated so low in a poll like this, with the additional thinly-veiled implication that I must not know much about City, either.

Given your handle, I already figured your sense of humo(u)r is top drawer :)

Crushed that Doctor Who is so low on the list! Suspect it's the 21st century crap that's dragged it down.

The Thick of It is brilliant and another I forgot to vote for. Some of the most inventive swearing ever Capaldi at his best!

Really hope there's decent drama or comedies higher up rather than reality tv which is like comparing Barry Vennison to Paolo Maldini.

Crushed that Doctor Who is so low on the list! Suspect it's the 21st century crap that's dragged it down.

The Thick of It is brilliant and another I forgot to vote for. Some of the most inventive swearing ever Capaldi at his best!

Really hope there's decent drama or comedies higher up rather than reality tv which is like comparing Barry Vennison to Paolo Maldini.

I thought reality tv was out of bounds?

Not that i'd have included any, but maybe helps your concerns.

I must say that I generally prefer US sitcoms. In the end though I only had one token sitcom in my list.
I'm the other way. I generally prefer US dramas and British sitcoms. Having said that, all the best British sitcoms were in the 70s/80s/early 90s, so there hasn't been anything that great in years on that score.

I did have one groundbreaking American sitcom in my 20, but I doubt it will appear now that the star's more popular show (at least I'm assuming that's the case) has already appeared.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.