Bob Dylan

Even though most of his major work was in the 1960s, my three favourite albums of his are Blood on the Tracks (1975), Desire (1976) and Oh Mercy (1989). Throw in the fact that he's had a lot of acclaimed albums in the 21st century and I think that just goes to show what a major artist he has been for a long time.

Even though most of his major work was in the 1960s, my three favourite albums of his are Blood on the Tracks (1975), Desire (1976) and Oh Mercy (1989). Throw in the fact that he's had a lot of acclaimed albums in the 21st century and I think that just goes to show what a major artist he has been for a long time.
So not crap then?

The world would be boring if everyone had the same taste, but come on.

Putting his singing and jazz arrangements aside, which fine, some people might not enjoy, Bob Dylan is literally the most talented songwriter to ever live. It’s not even worthy of debate.
So, it seems that even though he sounds crap, he's actually brilliant? I can live with that - I did start the thread with an open mind.

Robert Zimmerman, the original couch surfer. Man of mystery. Loved him as a kid..... Then disdain of his character as i got older.

Amazing songwriter, one of the finest. Make you feel my love covered by Adele was one that stuck.

So, it seems that even though he sounds crap, he's actually brilliant? I can live with that - I did start the thread with an open mind.
That's always been my take on Dylan. Most of what I've heard (from any period) I just can't take his voice and his vocal style. Started listening to Bob Harris and other stuff from around 1998 as mainstream radio just bored me. I went down the route of what was then described as Alternative Country - which it mostly wasn't. However I bought loads of new music and discovered loads of new (and old) artists and it's probably best described today as Americana. I would say that ALL of them revere him to some degree, and especially his writing. Because of this I've heard loads of Dylan covers that I have loved and do now realise that he is considered the best and the most original - by other artists. Here's a good one, lots of chat but music starts around 9 minutes in

That's always been my take on Dylan. Most of what I've heard (from any period) I just can't take his voice and his vocal style. Started listening to Bob Harris and other stuff from around 1998 as mainstream radio just bored me. I went down the route of what was then described as Alternative Country - which it mostly wasn't. However I bought loads of new music and discovered loads of new (and old) artists and it's probably best described today as Americana. I would say that ALL of them revere him to some degree, and especially his writing. Because of this I've heard loads of Dylan covers that I have loved and do now realise that he is considered the best and the most original - by other artists. Here's a good one, lots of chat but music starts around 9 minutes in

Bob Harris's alt country show was brilliant - used to listen to it every week.

Found so many great artists from that show who are still my favourite bands now - the Jayhawks, Wilco, Ryan Adams

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.