Boca Juniors - 10 sent off in Cup Final (P9)

Henry Chinaski

Has anyone ever been to Argentina to watch football?

I am there in 4 weeks for my honeymoon and am there when Boca play at home. Always been a dream to go to 'la bonbonera'. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of what to do/avoid??

I am leaving my Sun commemerative t shirt celebrating the sinking of the Belgrano at home.

I was on holiday in Buenos Aires 4 or 5 yrs ago, and had a walk out to the area round Boca's ground. It is in a very run-down area, and as it was match day for the Juniors there were hordes of supporters in a highly excitable state milling round.
As I sat on a public bench near the ground, a local woman came up to me and jabbered in Spanish. As I did not understand, she pointed to my wrist watch and motioned to me to remove it. I said in my basic Spanish "Robbers?" and she nodded vigorously, and I gathered it would be snatched forcibly if I resisted.
So my advice is when touring La Boca area, avoid any display of watches, jewellery, etc., and mind your wallet, specially on match day.
Having said that, it is a lovely city, with the widest street in the world (a bugger to cross), and it was very moving to stand by the memorial to the dead from the General Belgrano, where I felt a little ashamed and certainly awed.
Needless to say, the steaks are something to behold. Not a city for vegetarians.
I wish you bueno viaje.

..........and before some pedantic hispanophone complains, yes, I think the phrase is "buen viaje". (Just a typo...)

...........and to continue, I almost forgot - if you like good beer, there is a haven I went to called Bullers brewpub, with six different delicious ales brewed there and served in a sunny beergarden. By far the best beer in B Aires, it is on Pres. Roberto M Ortiz avenue just by Recoleta cemetery (where Evita Peron is buried).
Avoid "Quilmes" beer, which is all over, but tasteless and additive riddled.
If you find Bullers and try it, you won't regret it, and when you get back I'd love to know what you think.

Salud!

Big Swifty said:
...........and to continue, I almost forgot - if you like good beer, there is a haven I went to called Bullers brewpub, with six different delicious ales brewed there and served in a sunny beergarden. By far the best beer in B Aires, it is on Pres. Roberto M Ortiz avenue just by Recoleta cemetery (where Evita Peron is buried).
Avoid "Quilmes" beer, which is all over, but tasteless and additive riddled.
If you find Bullers and try it, you won't regret it, and when you get back I'd love to know what you think.

Salud!

Brilliant, thanks for the info. I will indeed let you know how it went!!!

If you can, go to a San Lorenzo game instead of Boca Juniors, the fans there are more passionate and there is a better atmosphere.
Bonbonera is nice but nothing compared to this.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUliw5qHilg&feature=relmfu[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdcRYEybfmI&feature=related[/youtube]

Yes, amazing experience, best atmosphere ive ever experienced despite the away fans pissing and throwing coins down from the tier above, just dont sit in the 12th man stand unless you learn every Boca song off by heart, one lad attempted to when I was there and was sussed by the crowd he lost everything includimg his clothes

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.