Body Scanner, Manchester Airport

Blumers Bloomers

Has anybody actually had to go through this yet?

Seen in the MEN tonight that somebody has refused to go through it and forfeited their flight as a consequence - if you've nothing to hide, whats your problem?

A MUSLIM woman was barred from boarding a flight to Pakistan after refusing to go through a new ‘naked’ full-body scanner at Manchester Airport on religious grounds.

Her companion also declined to be scanned for ‘medical reasons’.

The women were travelling together to Islamabad when they were selected to pass through the controversial security screen after checking-in at Terminal 2.

Both told airport staff they were not willing to be scanned. They were warned they would not be allowed to board the Pakistan International Airlines flight if they refused.

The pair decided they would rather forfeit their £400 tickets and left the airport with their luggage.

They are the first to refuse to pass through the £80,000 scanner, introduced by the government at Heathrow and Manchester airports last month.

The X-ray machines allow security staff to see a ‘naked’ image of passengers to show up hidden weapons and explosives.

Manchester Airport confirmed the passengers had refused to be scanned but said it had received no complaint from the women.

Test case

However, civil liberties campaigners say the incident could form the basis of a legal test case to challenge the use of the Rapiscan device in airports.

Alex Deane, director of campaign group Big Brother Watch, said the organisation would represent the women if they wished to challenge the decision in court.

He said: “People shouldn’t have to sacrifice their health, their faith, their dignity, or their privacy in order to fly.

“People with health and religious concerns shouldn’t be forced to go through these scanners if they have good reason not to. Foolishly, the government has ignored both issues and ignored privacy concerns to boot – they are in the wrong on this.”

There is one Rapiscan scanner in use in a trial at Manchester Airport’s Terminal 2, which has seen 15,000 people pass through it. A further two devices – one each for Terminals one and three – have been delivered and are set to be operational within the next month.

The scanners have been criticised by the human rights group Liberty and also the government’s own Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Only selected passengers are scanned. Security staff say they are chosen at random and not according to race, religion or ethnicity.

Councillor Afzal Khan, who was Manchester’s first Asian lord mayor, said the vast majority of Muslims believed that any privacy concerns should be outweighed by ensuring they are safe when flying.

Concerns

He said: “Hundreds of Muslim passengers have gone through without a problem. While I appreciate people’s concerns for privacy, these steps are necessary for our safety and security.”

A Manchester Airport spokesman said: “Two female passengers who were booked to fly out of Terminal Two refused to be scanned for medical and religious reasons.

“In accordance with the government directive on scanners, they were not permitted to fly.

“Body scanning is a big change for customers and we are aware that privacy concerns are on our customers’’ minds, which is why we have put strict procedures in place to reassure them that their privacy will be protected.”

Well if someone refused to use the scanner I would refuse to fly with the fuckers. It's quite simple, it's a condition of flying. If they start driving they'll be there in 6 days.

Blumers Bloomers said:
Has anybody actually had to go through this yet?

Seen in the MEN tonight that somebody has refused to go through it and forfeited their flight as a consequence - if you've nothing to hide, whats your problem?

A MUSLIM woman was barred from boarding a flight to Pakistan after refusing to go through a new ‘naked’ full-body scanner at Manchester Airport on religious grounds.

Her companion also declined to be scanned for ‘medical reasons’.

The women were travelling together to Islamabad when they were selected to pass through the controversial security screen after checking-in at Terminal 2.

Both told airport staff they were not willing to be scanned. They were warned they would not be allowed to board the Pakistan International Airlines flight if they refused.

The pair decided they would rather forfeit their £400 tickets and left the airport with their luggage.

They are the first to refuse to pass through the £80,000 scanner, introduced by the government at Heathrow and Manchester airports last month.

The X-ray machines allow security staff to see a ‘naked’ image of passengers to show up hidden weapons and explosives.

Manchester Airport confirmed the passengers had refused to be scanned but said it had received no complaint from the women.

Test case

However, civil liberties campaigners say the incident could form the basis of a legal test case to challenge the use of the Rapiscan device in airports.

Alex Deane, director of campaign group Big Brother Watch, said the organisation would represent the women if they wished to challenge the decision in court.

He said: “People shouldn’t have to sacrifice their health, their faith, their dignity, or their privacy in order to fly.

“People with health and religious concerns shouldn’t be forced to go through these scanners if they have good reason not to. Foolishly, the government has ignored both issues and ignored privacy concerns to boot – they are in the wrong on this.”

There is one Rapiscan scanner in use in a trial at Manchester Airport’s Terminal 2, which has seen 15,000 people pass through it. A further two devices – one each for Terminals one and three – have been delivered and are set to be operational within the next month.

The scanners have been criticised by the human rights group Liberty and also the government’s own Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Only selected passengers are scanned. Security staff say they are chosen at random and not according to race, religion or ethnicity.

Councillor Afzal Khan, who was Manchester’s first Asian lord mayor, said the vast majority of Muslims believed that any privacy concerns should be outweighed by ensuring they are safe when flying.

Concerns

He said: “Hundreds of Muslim passengers have gone through without a problem. While I appreciate people’s concerns for privacy, these steps are necessary for our safety and security.”

A Manchester Airport spokesman said: “Two female passengers who were booked to fly out of Terminal Two refused to be scanned for medical and religious reasons.

“In accordance with the government directive on scanners, they were not permitted to fly.

“Body scanning is a big change for customers and we are aware that privacy concerns are on our customers’’ minds, which is why we have put strict procedures in place to reassure them that their privacy will be protected.”

I'm always scanning and no-one seems to mind!

I have no problem with this. Like the OP said, if you've got nothing to hide what's the problem. And for you guys that say human rights blah, blah, blah; if someone refuses to go through a metal detector, would you still allow them on a plane? You have to upgrade technology as weapons upgrade. Unfortunately its the way the world is.

I don't get what the uproar is with these machines. If you've got nothing to hide then why refuse to use it?

Where in the bible or the quran does it say anything about not passing through a security screen? What health reasons is there to harm you?

I'd make airports so tight in security you wouldn't be able to smile. I've seen people moan about having to take off shoes, belts, not being aloud to bring through a bottle of 99p water, just fucking do it, you sit on your arse for an hour waiting for the plane, would you rather be blown up in mid air?

if i was mat, i'd say that they got paid by a terroist organisation to kick up a fuss about it all as why would you sacrifice losing £400 on tickets and not that arsed about the luggage? ;-)

I am sure the person at the scanner doesn't want to see her features as well but it is a small precaution in order to avoid terrorist attacks.

The problem is when they first implimented these machines after the Somalian attempted attack (which by the way was discovered to be a CIA led false-flag operation), the authorities gave the option to passengers refusing the Machines to have the pat-down through security instead. Now there hell-bent on making sure the Public passes through unproven/untested Technology which is not only dangerous, but will also be found to be Militaristic in design if you look at the purpose of their design. Put it simply were Guinea Pigs for Radiation/Gamma-Ray tests, the effects of which will only be known in decades to come.
I would rather walk than fly.

How do the scanners work? Is it Male security guards looking at Male Passangers and Female Security for Female passengers? Also what about children? If selected I would go through myself although if I had children Im not sure id be comfortable with them going through.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.