Book recommendations

Matt Haig books sound like they'd do your mind some good mate. I always read one of his when my heads fucked and I want to see the good in the world.

You might enjoy 'The Humans'. Or try 'The Midnight Library'.
Thanks mate, Already on my 2nd Matt Haig book. Excellent recommendation and just what I needed :)

If you like sports books, 'Playgrounds of the gods' by Ian Stafford is a great read.
The Satsuma Complex by Bob Mortimer is pretty funny, but less than 300 pages long.

Thanks mate, Already on my 2nd Matt Haig book. Excellent recommendation and just what I needed :)
Aw mate - really glad you're enjoying his work. He's good at reminding you of the good in the world. Really hope you're ok, blue.

Papillon - Henri Charriere
The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty

Great reads, infinitely more intense than the films. Papillon is the best book I have ever read.
The Papillon book was/is a fabulous read. In fact I found the film unbearable when I saw it years later. The book is just so vivid.

A third of the way through Clive Myrie’s book, and enjoying it so far. I hardly ever read or enjoy biographies, so the acid test will be if I manage to finish it. (One mention of City so far btw!).

Has anyone read The Seventh Son by Faulks? Published last year I think. Came across mention of it in an article few days ago, but digging a bit deeper, the reviews seem really mixed.

Anything will do. I usually read sports books or Stephen King, but am up for something new, especially if it’s uplifting or talks about mindfulness. Thank you :)
Give John Connolly a try. Easy reading page turners in the crime/thriller genre with a King-like supernatural subtext.

I love Frederick Forsyths style of writing, gripping fictional thrillers that not only keep you guessing but have 1 foot in reality. I enjoy Dan Brown, Ian Fleming, John le Carre, and Len Deighton.

The novel "The Pure" by Jake Wallis Simons is a fantastic read, a fictional? tale involving MOSSAD. I still read old school time books Alistaire McClean.

I love Frederick Forsyths style of writing, gripping fictional thrillers that not only keep you guessing but have 1 foot in reality. I enjoy Dan Brown, Ian Fleming, John le Carre, and Len Deighton.

The novel "The Pure" by Jake Wallis Simons is a fantastic read, a fictional? tale involving MOSSAD. I still read old school time books Alistaire McClean.
Now you’re talking! Used to love Alastair Maclean, books and some of the film versions too like Breakheart Pass, Where Eagles Dare, When 8 Bells Toll and Navarone etc.
Robert Ludlum kept me busy for a while too.

Len Deighton’s best for me were those Game Set & Match books and the others in that series, so so good to get immersed in :-)

Last year or so been reading the LJ Ross crime series of books set and and around the North East. Nothing earth shattering, but still enjoyable.

Last edited:
On the suggestion of Mad Eyed Screamer, I have a new book out this week on Amazon called Parallax 9/11 Part One: The Silent Assassin.
It tells the untold story of the first victim of Mohamad Atta - the 9/11 ringleader who flew the 1st plane into the North Tower of the World Trade Centre.
When Atta's mugshot was 1st broadcast to the world, it set off a chain of events among a group of Mancunians who'd been on a golfing vacation in Florida 17 months previously, and they were all convinced that Atta had been involved and at the scene of a fatal road traffic accident in which one of their number had been killed. No action was taken to prosecute; the perpetrators later disappeared.
I was a lawyer back then and it fell to me to pursue a claim for the bereaved family.
In a recent podcast, I was asked to reflect on some of the cases I'd dealt with; this one was always top of my list, but I had no authority to talk about. However, I'm still in touch with the family and when I last spoke to them, they said that they wanted the story to be told - so here it is. I 've set it against the backdrop of the 9/11 disaster, otherwise there's no perspective, and I seek to both inform and ask questions of the authorities.
I tell the family's story; give insight into how the claim was pursued; delve into where Atta was pre 9/11. The authorities only reckoned he was in the USA from June 2000. This fatal event happened in mid May 2000, and I believe we can safely say that he was indeed in the USA at that time.
I ask many questions in the book, and hopefully weave an intriguing story about some great Mancunian people. There's a very human love story in there, and much tragedy. Some names and venues have been changed to protect identities, but it is all based on true events.
Hope you'll look it up and give it a like.
Cheers.
RTH

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.