Book suggestions

This was one of my daughters strong recommendations but when I got the premise of the story , I was dubious to say the least .
On your say so , I shall give it a go .
Didn't the Stones use part of that for the basis of the song gimme shelter,or have I got that fucked up with something else ?

Must get round to reading a good history of the Vietnamese wars

A great book about the policy decisions and personalities behind the US war in Vietnam is "The Best and the Brightest" by David Halberstam. Even though JFK assembled supposedly the finest minds and most dynamic administrators in his foreign policy cabinet they still fucked it up. It's a dissection of the power, arrogance and hubris of US foreign policy.

Since you two are interested, do you know the Landmark editions of these books (Landmark Herodotus, Landmark Thucydides)? I've got the Landmark Herodotus, but not yet bought the Landmark Thucydides. They're great, because they give all the modern equivalents for the cities and regions mentioned by the two. That's particularly important where Herodotus is concerned, where you often don't have the faintest idea where you are. They also have maps. They're also, incidentally, very pretty hardbacks, but not cheap, of course.

Must get round to reading a good history of the Vietnamese wars, including the French aspect of it, in the 50s. Do you know a book called A Bright Shining Lie, by Neil Sheehan? It made a big splash when it came out. But Max Hastings is a good historian. Must give that a go.
I finished it last month and it's well worth the time, excellent book

Just finished the Book of Dust (first one)

mess published after the Dark Materials series but takes place in a time before the first one

very nostalgic, hadn’t read Dark Materials for years so re read them first, good read

I'm a bit worried about reading the Book of Dust series because I was so hugely impressed by His Dark Materials that I'm worried that he's cashing in and will mess it up somehow. Although I was jarred, as never before, by the way The Amber Spyglass ends — I didn't cry(!) but I took days to get over it — I was finally reconciled to that ending to the whole trilogy. It has to be that way.
What do you think? Does it feel as though he's exploiting the success of the earlier trilogy, or do the Book of Dust novels stand on their own merits?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.