Books

Hollywood Blue said:
Blueblood - Mike Doyle is a cracking read, much better than the Colin Bell one.
Also the Stan Bowles book is quite entertaining.
Heard some funny things about Stan Bowles didnt he turn up at the bookies in his kit before kick off ? i only remember him at QPR what a great left foot and skillful player he was, anyone any idea what the books called ?

Bruce Wades-Hughes said:
I thoroughly recommend my Father and Other Stories by Gary Imlach. Won the Sports Book of the Year award. Beautifully written book about the author's quest to find out more about his father, Stewart Imlach, who played for a number of Scottish and English clubs in the 1950s/60s. Would bring a tear to a glass eye, that one...

You mea "My Father and Other Working Class Football Heros" read it and its great although a bit hevy on stats and dates. would deffinatly recomend it though.

Bruce Wades-Hughes said:
General dearth of good City biogs; wasn't that impressed with Bell's, Summerbee's and Doyle's, although Tony Book's was okay. But if it's City history that floats your boat, you can't go wrong with anything by the prolific Gary James.

Thanks for the comment. Very much appreciated. Shameless plug now... If you want a decent City biography... "Joe Mercer, OBE - Football With A Smile". The 1993 authorised biog has been revised and updated and will be published in April. It can be subscribed to now (offer ends 31st Jan 2010) for a discounted price of £15 and each subscriber will get their name printed in the book, alongside their favourite Mercer Match. The book will be despatched to subscribers before it appears in the shops. Details on publisher's website <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchesterfootball.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.manchesterfootball.org</a>

cant spell-dont care said:
Looked at a couple of gary james books but wanted to stear clear as i have already read down amungst the dead men and wanted to go a bit brouder then sticking with one outher.

"Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City" is an excellent book, but it isn't one of mine. Sorry!

Billy City said:
Hollywood Blue said:
Blueblood - Mike Doyle is a cracking read, much better than the Colin Bell one.
Also the Stan Bowles book is quite entertaining.
Heard some funny things about Stan Bowles didnt he turn up at the bookies in his kit before kick off ? i only remember him at QPR what a great left foot and skillful player he was, anyone any idea what the books called ?

There are 4 Bowles books, the best version to go for is the paperback version linked below:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stan-Bowles-Autobiography/dp/0752865390/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260662653&sr=1-1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stan-Bowles-Aut ... 653&sr=1-1</a>

It's a fun read and it does include a fair bit about his time at Maine Road. I'm a QPR fan but have always had a soft spot for City as my first big Div 1 away game was at Maine Road in Nov 1973. Rodney took a dive and Franny Lee scored from the penalty!

I agree with the other posters about Gary Imlach's book "My father and other working class football heroes". A fantastic read. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Bert Trautmann's book "Steppes to Wembley". Not easy to find but a good read.

I know there is a thread like this hourly but can anyone recommend any good footy books.
I have read Colin Bell: Reluctant hero, Blue moon: Down amongst the dead men with man city, Kicked into touch ect.
Thanks guys.
neil youngs cath a falling star was a good read

Gary James said:
Looked at a couple of gary james books but wanted to stear clear as i have already read down amungst the dead men and wanted to go a bit brouder then sticking with one outher.

"Blue Moon: Down Among the Dead Men with Manchester City" is an excellent book, but it isn't one of mine. Sorry!

is it not lol, dont no why i got that it was yours in to my head, looks like i can get one of yours now then :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.