Bournemouth v City post match

I've only watched it this afternoon, but it was very like watching a team of the past (50's/60's). Once again it was often 2323, with Sagna Yaya and Fernadhino, ahead of Stones and Kolarov, then Silva and KdB with a half of the pitch to control each, then the three up front. Best of all though, its so flexible, and can easily convert into 352, 442, 433 without having to change positions. It was a surprise to see it fit Fernandhino so well on the left, but the options it gives going forward are amazing, not to mention that was probably one of our best defensive performances of the season too. As you say the balance is key, he seems to have found the formula that works with these players.

Willie - 7 (1 outstanding save with his feet)
Sagna - 7
Stones - 8
Kolarov - 8
Fernandhino - 8
Yaya - 7 (the early booking stunted him a bit)
Silva - 9 - outstanding and my MoM
KdB - 8 best he's been in a while
Sane - 7 (attacked well but gave the ball away carelessly too many times for me)
Jesus - not marked
Sterling - 8 great contribution
Aguero -7 started slowly, but improved second half

Otamendi - 6
Nolito - not marked

If this can be kept up through all these games, we will challenge Chelsea, the key word is IF, its a big ask with CL on top.

I'd go along with all of that y'know. I think what encourages me is that the performances for a while now seem to be creeping up in their quality incrementally. I feel as though as the players understand what Pep wants more and more, especially in terms of their positional play, they're beginning to flourish in their roles.

For me the key in this set up is the space that KDB/Silva have to work in. It's absolutely obvious that even if they may not carry the same goal threat that they do playing further forward, having those two in front of Toure makes it such a footballtastic midfield. Eventually someone will run all over them through sheer force of will but for the moment they look imperious.

I'd go along with all of that y'know. I think what encourages me is that the performances for a while now seem to be creeping up in their quality incrementally. I feel as though as the players understand what Pep wants more and more, especially in terms of their positional play, they're beginning to flourish in their roles.

For me the key in this set up is the space that KDB/Silva have to work in. It's absolutely obvious that even if they may not carry the same goal threat that they do playing further forward, having those two in front of Toure makes it such a footballtastic midfield. Eventually someone will run all over them through sheer force of will but for the moment they look imperious.

I wholeheartedly agree.

It's been very noticeable recently how much the positional play has improved and how disciplined in particular that midfield three have been. You can also see it though in how the wingers and full backs interchange. It's been made plain to anyone who has bothered to pay attention that what Pep asks of his places with the positional game takes time to learn and perfect - and we are far from having perfected it but little by little (you already said incrementally) it is coming together. If the progress continues, the benefits will make all the pain many supporters have had to endure more than worth it ;-)

C4k9i7rWYAA1LRn.jpg

Love these graphics, shows how well structured we are, how much Silva ran the game.

I wholeheartedly agree.

It's been very noticeable recently how much the positional play has improved and how disciplined in particular that midfield three have been. You can also see it though in how the wingers and full backs interchange. It's been made plain to anyone who has bothered to pay attention that what Pep asks of his places with the positional game takes time to learn and perfect - and we are far from having perfected it but little by little (you already said incrementally) it is coming together. If the progress continues, the benefits will make all the pain many supporters have had to endure more than worth it ;-)

As you say it's going to take time to perfect it.
It's also pretty obvious that certain players are catching on quicker than others.

For Pep's system to work perfectly there can be no one learning, no passengers. I think by this time next year we'll be clearly a step above most sides in Europe.
I doubt we'll ever quite have the dominance of Pep's other sides as our league is more volatile than others.
It's taken him time to adjust, he said as much himself.
When the ball is in the air, you can't control it.

We have become excellent at defending set pieces, and even score our fair share especially considering our size.

Times are really exciting and with the right recruitment in the summer, we will be dominant in my opinion.
At a time where Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern will be looking to reinvent their attack ours should be flourishing.

If we add well at full back, we'll have a pretty young defence, add a young replacement to replace or cover YaYa and compliment Fernandinho, we'll be right up their.

I'd expect us to add full backs in the mould of Kimich/Alaba rather than traditional full backs.

As you say it's going to take time to perfect it.
It's also pretty obvious that certain players are catching on quicker than others.

For Pep's system to work perfectly there can be no one learning, no passengers. I think by this time next year we'll be clearly a step above most sides in Europe.
I doubt we'll ever quite have the dominance of Pep's other sides as our league is more volatile than others.
It's taken him time to adjust, he said as much himself.
When the ball is in the air, you can't control it.

We have become excellent at defending set pieces, and even score our fair share especially considering our size.

Times are really exciting and with the right recruitment in the summer, we will be dominant in my opinion.
At a time where Barcelona, Real Madrid and Bayern will be looking to reinvent their attack ours should be flourishing.

If we add well at full back, we'll have a pretty young defence, add a young replacement to replace or cover YaYa and compliment Fernandinho, we'll be right up their.

I'd expect us to add full backs in the mould of Kimich/Alaba rather than traditional full backs.

I agree.

I still get nervous at set pieces even though I know we have defended them exceptionally well this season. Guess the nervousness is that it still presents a genuine opportunity for opponents to threaten us; plus we give too many free kicks away and there is just that innate fear that it will cost us.

I also think those are the kinds of full back Pep will look for. What will be scary for opponents is if he adds two high quality full backs who are well blessed with pace: the threat from Sane and Sterling supported by two speedy full backs would be formidable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.