Brentford (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Born in Altrincham, in the Royal borough of Stockport
pretty sure we lost at Brentford in 1989 in cup ties, remember Oldfield scoring in a 2-1 defeat, we definitely lost 3-1 season before in FA Cup but i can't remember off top of my head who scored our goal

Foden immense - but great performances all round. Now to my usual moaning (might start a thread 'Tourists at Away Games'). Last night, I got there quite early and like most London games, was, within half an hour, surrounded by tourists. Rather than just stare at them and be grumpy, I decided to ask them where they were from and where did they get their tickets (in a genuinely friendly way - after all, nothing wrong with wanting to be part of the City family) - my issue isn't with them - it's with loyal fans who can't get tickets as they just miss the point threshold. So, a lovely group of four from Hong Kong told me they paid £320 each on a website (I think its something like onlinefooty.com), two guys from Dubai paid £500 each from someone at the ground and a group of at least 8 from Singapore spent £280 each as part of some overseas trip. Welcome to all them, resplendent in their half and half scarves - and well done to all those fans who managed to make a small fortune selling on their tickets....as for the regulars, some great singing all game and great support.
I think it’s a London thing. We came from the US and paid too much money to see City play at Stamford Bridge (had already planned to be in London). Because I read this site, I would have never taken an away ticket from a City fan. Our seats were in the Home Family section. Everyone was a tourist, most were cheering for City. Empty seats too, even though we were up close. I wouldn’t necessarily do it again, but I couldnt resist the opportunity when I found out City would be in London when we were. We also knew better than to wear the half and half’s - even though my 9 yo really wanted one! Sports tickets are so $$$ in the US, so even paying what seems like an outrageous amount in the UK, isn’t as bad, especially for once in a lifetime type experiences. I don’t have a good solution, but I promise when I come to see City in Manchester I’ll sing the whole time.

Overall a really strong performance in an attacking sense. Still think we were defensively poor at times. Not so much structurally but just individuals not playing at a high level of not showing composure.

Phil is quietly morphing into Gundo in terms of his ability to affect games both on and off the ball and his overall maturity. He was obviously MOTM. KDB is getting there too. Rodri is immense. Walker had one of his best games of the season. Dias I thought was quietly poor. One good block but a lot of nonsense in terms of his passing, decision making, etc.

I don't really understand Alvarez in this side with Jack, Bobb, Nunes, and Kovacic sat on the bench. Yes he's a penalty box killer, but he is nowhere near technically good enough to play in tight spaces, his first touch is poor, and he has the turning circle of a 192 bus in a Tesco Express car park. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously busy and he's obviously got that work rate Pep loves and I'm sure he's one of those happy faces who never gets down about not playing. But considering how much Pep loves control, weird that Alvarez plays so much with the other options he has.

Foden immense - but great performances all round. Now to my usual moaning (might start a thread 'Tourists at Away Games'). Last night, I got there quite early and like most London games, was, within half an hour, surrounded by tourists. Rather than just stare at them and be grumpy, I decided to ask them where they were from and where did they get their tickets (in a genuinely friendly way - after all, nothing wrong with wanting to be part of the City family) - my issue isn't with them - it's with loyal fans who can't get tickets as they just miss the point threshold. So, a lovely group of four from Hong Kong told me they paid £320 each on a website (I think its something like onlinefooty.com), two guys from Dubai paid £500 each from someone at the ground and a group of at least 8 from Singapore spent £280 each as part of some overseas trip. Welcome to all them, resplendent in their half and half scarves - and well done to all those fans who managed to make a small fortune selling on their tickets....as for the regulars, some great singing all game and great support.
Did you get their numbers, asking for a friend;-)

Overall a really strong performance in an attacking sense. Still think we were defensively poor at times. Not so much structurally but just individuals not playing at a high level of not showing composure.

Phil is quietly morphing into Gundo in terms of his ability to affect games both on and off the ball and his overall maturity. He was obviously MOTM. KDB is getting there too. Rodri is immense. Walker had one of his best games of the season. Dias I thought was quietly poor. One good block but a lot of nonsense in terms of his passing, decision making, etc.

I don't really understand Alvarez in this side with Jack, Bobb, Nunes, and Kovacic sat on the bench. Yes he's a penalty box killer, but he is nowhere near technically good enough to play in tight spaces, his first touch is poor, and he has the turning circle of a 192 bus in a Tesco Express car park. Don't get me wrong, he's obviously busy and he's obviously got that work rate Pep loves and I'm sure he's one of those happy faces who never gets down about not playing. But considering how much Pep loves control, weird that Alvarez plays so much with the other options he has.
Good summary mate. Agree with it all. Dias has had a poor season by his standards, Alvaraz isnt our best option in that role - has Pep made promises? I'd also add in that Gvardiol loses possession too much and can get done for pace. I expect him to step down for Ake when Stones returns, and at that point I expect us to push the full backs on a bit less, maybe creating more opportunities for Grealish and Doku.

Hard to drop him as soon as Haaland is fit after he had deputised so well. His season return is 15 goals scored & 9 assists in 32 games played. Feel sure Grealish’s ball retention discipline will be required for the tighter games but I can understand the selected team last night

I think it’s a London thing. We came from the US and paid too much money to see City play at Stamford Bridge (had already planned to be in London). Because I read this site, I would have never taken an away ticket from a City fan. Our seats were in the Home Family section. Everyone was a tourist, most were cheering for City. Empty seats too, even though we were up close. I wouldn’t necessarily do it again, but I couldnt resist the opportunity when I found out City would be in London when we were. We also knew better than to wear the half and half’s - even though my 9 yo really wanted one! Sports tickets are so $$$ in the US, so even paying what seems like an outrageous amount in the UK, isn’t as bad, especially for once in a lifetime type experiences. I don’t have a good solution,

………but I promise when I come to see City in Manchester I’ll sing the whole time.

As long as it’s not any Taylor Swift shit !

Thats the thing, you double up on him and you leave other players free, so it's not that simple.

Great tactic if your play a sport where only Haalands goals count, otherwise it's really not a great tactic. In some ways it's worse doubling up on him. Even if you don't double up, he still has get the better of a defender. Surely the odds are better to go that route rather than leaving someome like Foden absolutely free.

The good thing is that this is clearly being highlighted now, so other managers have to choose between giving Haaland more room, which often means you'll get punished, or double up and let other top players waltz into your box unmarked.

That's why he's a huge asset even in games he doesn't score.
Foden's 2nd & 3rd goals were scored because of the space left by Brentford doubling up on Haaland. The 2nd was a defender moving behind Haaland so Foden ghosted in behind that for a free header. The 3rd, Foden allowed the ball to run to Haaland and followed it. Haaland with 2 defenders behind him then just laid it into Fodens path for a free run at goal.

Interesting to see you say that about Alvarez mate, as it’s exactly what we were all sat there saying too. I just don’t think he suits the style once Big Erl is in the side, and we looked devoid of structure in that first 30 mins when no one looked like they knew where they should be.

Pep seems like he has no intention of moving Julian wide, and consequently now that Kev is back and Phil is playing so well then for me we need Julian on the bench for some games - in an ideal world Stones or Akanji becomes the extra man with Rodders which allows Kev and Phil to play behind Erl, then we can have 2 wide players.

Bit worrying too, on another note, as to how lost Bernie looked out on the right last night, he was poor.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.