Brentford (H) | Post-Match Thread

Worst performance I have seen for a very long time.

All on Pep. What the fuck was he watching.

Akanji was comical, beaten to every header and positionally all over the shop. Soft as shit.

Phil was crap again wide left, goal notwithstanding.

As for putting him at left-back with Bernie for the set-pieces in the dying minutes, the writing was on the wall.

Gundo should have been hooked in the first half, him and Rodri rarely work against teams who chase down.

The smart move seemed to be Grealish on, Phil to the right, Bernie inside.

Special mention for Cancelo, who spent the entire afternoon being an absolute shithouse and feigning injury. As for his penalty dive, why? The guy would have a clear shot across goal on his left foot.

Kudos to Eddie, Laporte, Bernie and Stones. They played for the team, the rest played within themselves or for themselves.

What a shit result.
Absolutely spot on, Tolmie nails it.
Akanje and Gundo are back ups no more.

Well that was a disappointing afternoon. It always seems to be the case with City that you can see how the game will unfold within the first 5 mins. We started slowly with poor passing and sure enough that didn't really improve. It appeared to be an almost collective malaise. Bernardo alone provided some energy and impetus, Foden better in the second half but the rest were not much to write home about. Ederson luckily was awake in the first 10 mins whilst the rest of the team were having a nap. They could have been out of sight had he not been so. We were caught out far too easily on the break. Our corners continue to be woeful.

As was Foden, Gundogan, Cancelo, Haaland, Rodri & Bernardo. Very iffy performances today. Bernie totally anonymous wide right, he was better 2nd half though. Too many wrong decisions in attack today. Countless opportunities to play the ball into the box, but we didn’t take them. Instead we passed/pissed about. When we did play it into the box, the balls were under hit, over hit or blocked by the first defender. That last 20 was crying out for Grealish running at them. Strange substitution too, ending up with Phil at left back? Great opportunity for Gundogan that he blazed over with the goal gaping. Gundogan was woeful in front of goal today. Brentford did a number on us, horrible to watch but effective. The tone of the game was set from the kick off, we were very slow to start and Brentford capitalised and seized the initiative. Brentford’s big hoof repeatedly caused problems and we never really looked comfortable. Very disappointed today. Was the ref correct with the penalty shouts?
I agree with you other than I thought Foden and Ederson were the best of a bad bunch today.

I didn't see any incorrect penalty decisions with the ref other than the handball in the first half. VAR could not overturn it and if the ref gave the penalty for handball it would not have been overturned either.

My beef with the ref was that I have never seen so much wasted time or game stoppage ever within one game.

The variety:

- Linesman's audio playing up
- Laporte's injury
- Retaken corner
- Retaken freekicks (2 from memory, could be more?)
- Dramatic bookings
- Overwhelmed in the first half when 3 VAR decisions were going on.
- Not booking but stopping to talk to people about shirt pulling.

I am sure there are many more that I have missed...

Also, can anybody explain to me why Cancelo purposefully dived and then clearly own up to it within a millisecond? Is this a classic example of getting out of the way to avoid injury prior to the World Cup?

I had flashbacks of Sunderland for that goal. Then I convinced myself that we are passed that now and we are a mature team. Then the goal went in. Then I asked myself who am I trying to kid? In the words of Mancini...."This eeeez Futboll.".
Wasn’t the Sunderland goal offside?
We certainly don’t look solid defensively this season and I think we’ve been lucky at times too.
Think our league position has been boosted somewhat by the inconsistencies of Spurs, Chelsea, united and Liverpool.
It doesn’t help that we never have one or two players having a bad game, they all seem to have a bad game at once.
As long as we’re up there we’re in with a chance, but we look a shadow of our former selves.

half time should have seen gundogan and foden off for grealish and mahrez and bernardo moved into the middle
So on Wednesday most of the forum where bemoaning the fact grealish and mahrez where playing against Chelsea. Yet now because pep didn’t take off gundogan and foden (who just scored an unbelievable equaliser) at half time he is in the wrong.

This place is mental after a bad result. We where up against a 5 at the back so we needed width to stretch the pitch. Unfortunately due to injury (as well as neglect in transfer window) we only have one senior fit full back.

The players didn’t turn up, they clearly had the World Cup on their minds (which is a career highlight for most players). It’s that simple.

Missed the game due a family event.

Just looked at the score/stats….
75% possession.
29 shots. TWENTY NINE!!!!!!
10 corners.
Get beat 1-2

OF FUCKING COURSE WE DID

This was coming for a long time
Most of the 29 shots were nowhere near the target, and the one by Gundogan when their keeper went walkabout was pure comedy.

All other pen shouts were iffy but Laporte being dragged down was clear as day. Can't wait to get Walker back so we don't have 3 centre halves on at once. Brentford deserved the win. Grealish had maybe his best performance last match albeit no goals then doesn't get a minute. We needed fresher legs today. Let hope Arsenal stumble later
Agreed 100%!

We should start a campaign... LBM - Left Backs Matter! :-/

I'm sick & tired of this annual discussion regarding full backs, especially with 32 year old Walker picking up more & more injuries!

Stones offered nothing going forward, leaving Bernardo to face 2-3 players on his own. It's not Stone's fault, it's our failure to bring in definitely one, maybe two senior LB's to blame.

Around the 70 min mark, I thought we'd have been better off with 17 year old Lewis on! He's quicker than Stones & better going forward.

Brentford's LB was assisted with 1-2 players to deal with Bernardo & kept leaving Stones for dead on the attack.

Again, this is no sleight on Stones, as he's a CB. Our recruitment priority for LB's is pathetic & woeful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.