Brian Clough interview.

Let's have a poll

Ayes to the left .......Waistcoat

Ayes to the right ........Cloughie
Clough would have revolutionised the FA and the future Engerland teams may have been more successful after him. That's why he didn't get the job. Too many old farts would have lost their cushy jobs of being paid to watch football.

Have you read Clough's autobiography?

He describes how he and Taylor persuaded Dave Mackay to join Derby from Spurs.

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is that they built the Forest side with a bunch of rejects, like Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, our Ian Bowyer and Robertson.

Indeed I have read it. The Dave Mackay one is such a great signing story. He was so close to joining Hearts yet their persuasion won him over.

It's such an amazing story. Robertson was clearly gifted but living an unhealthy lifestyle but somehow Clough and Taylor got him to up his game. Burns was a striker at Brum with a poor disciplinary record to say the least but they converted hom into a terrific central defender.

Clough and Taylor had so many skills. It was a great era and despite City’s problems I revere that Clough, Taylor and their Forest team. Don't tell me Derby supporting son....

Don't think Peter Swales could have coped with Clough's frankness and bluff manner.
(Malcolm Allison seemed to have a similar swagger about him).
"The Chairman" Swales would have sacked Cloughie after three months in my opinion...
Clough would've chinned the **** and kicked his toupe around the car park.

When I was a kid at primary school in early 70s Glossop, most kids were City or United (more City, wearing the red and black shirts in PE), and there were a couple of Derby fans - well, it's just in Derbyshire. It was that Cloughie title winning season when City blew it. I hadn't been bitten by the City bug yet (that came later), so I never felt that pain. It was clear though what a great side City were, though, with Colin Bell, Francis Lee and Buzzer household names.

Looking back (Mal, what were you doing, man! Not for the first or last time), even if Mal had not signed and tried to shoehorn an unfit Rodney Marsh into that great City side, I can't help thinking Clough and Taylor would probably have won it eventually the year after or the year after that with Derby, though he might have fallen out with Sam Longson at any time, such was the dynamic of their relationship and their personalities. One of the few things that I love about the flawed The Damned United was Jim Broadbent as Longson. Great character actor. Otherwise I find the film unfairly negative towards Clough. He had his flaws and made some big mistakes at Derby and Leeds sure but I can understand how the family didn't like it.

One of the joys of us living near Derby and Nottingham nowadays is reminiscing with locals about their great teams. My daughter's Sunday team plays in the Notts league and as an official FOC, I have played walking football in Derbyshire and Notts over the last decade, so plenty of opportunities for that.

I find Forest and Derby fans in general quite positive towards City usually though last season a vocal minority fell for the "what about City" on a biased Talkshite etc when Forest got points deducted. Most Forest and Derby can see what is going on with how FFP/PSR is a redshirt cartel lockin device, designed to repel so-called upstarts. United and Liverpool are not popular in either city with rich football traditions due to the arrogance of their fans. Like them I don't get why you'd support anyone other than your local team unless you've got a link through your family. It's bizarre to follow them when you've got Forest on your doorstep.

I don't mind our lad being a Derby fan at all. His choice unlike his sister who chose to follow me and his Mum. He likes City but "sheep shagging bastards, we know what we are" are his team.

A few times I've come across Derby or Forest supporters who make the occasional trip to the Etihad to enjoy City in Europe.

Not everyone hates us, and certainly not in the East Midlands!

Last edited:
My first game at Maine Road was in 1974 City v Leeds. Was Clough's first game and we beat them 2-1. The King got the winner! But even back then as a kid I realised it was a Clough/Taylor partnership. Once it was broken it was never the same. Would love to see some stato comparisons of Clough on his own v Clough with Taylor.

Indeed I have read it. The Dave Mackay one is such a great signing story. He was so close to joining Hearts yet their persuasion won him over.

It's such an amazing story. Robertson was clearly gifted but living an unhealthy lifestyle but somehow Clough and Taylor got him to up his game. Burns was a striker at Brum with a poor disciplinary record to say the least but they converted hom into a terrific central defender.

Clough and Taylor had so many skills. It was a great era and despite City’s problems I revere that Clough, Taylor and their Forest team. Don't tell me Derby supporting son....
I also think signing Gary Birtles for a pittance from Long Eaton Utd, a half decent local team , was a master stoke, and they pitched this Unkown raw striker into the European cup 1st round match against Liverpool, the then European champions .

Birtles ran Liverpool ragged in the late 70s tie , giving the experienced England international Phil Thompson in partc the run around, helped by the equally ,fast , direct, Tony Woodcock.
Forest 2 Liverpool 0.

Last edited:
The man was as mad as a hatter but I kind of miss him.

Completely agree with him about the media, their overly negative analysis, picking on the bad points with no enjoyment of games, players, teams and incidents, and the treatment of the officials is a disgrace.

And this was in the 1970s. It’s worse now.

‘Less of *that*, shut up and show more football’ should be the painted above the doors on every studio at the BBC, Sky, TNT etc.

[*talking action with the hand*]

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.