Brian Clough interview.

All geniuses are usually a bit crazy and eccentric. What he did at Derby and Forest was pretty remarkable. I was a kid watching football in those times and he was a huge character. He should have been the England manager but the stuffy suits of the fa would never entertain that.

Looking back now, although it was some achievement what he achieved with small town clubs like Forest and Derby, I don't think the gap between clubs was as big as it is now.
I was kid too and look back and marvel at what Clough achieved not once but twice at midsized clubs and with such style and discipline. The story of how he turned John Robertson round and moulded together a great team. The Derby team was great too and could have gone onto European success themselves but for very dodgy refereeing. Older Derby fans remember games v Juventus and Real Madrid particularly for the officiating as much as the matches. Clough was livid and he was not one for calling refs. It is often overlooked what a great side Derby were. I love the story of how he got Roy McFarland to sign, turning up at his house and refusing to leave until he did.

The Clough-Taylor relationship is a classic tragic story really that didn't need The Damned United with its artistic licence and, in my opinion overly negative portrayal of Clough. Taylor had such an eye for a player and the distinct impression I have is Clough got that one badly wrong when they split. Taylor hadn't been well and packed n Forest then appeared at Derby which didn't work out. Clough deeply regretted not reconciling.

Last edited:
There’s an earlier post about The Damned United which largely focuses on his time at Leeds. A brilliant film.

I was kid too and look back and marvel at what Clough achieved not once but twice at midsized clubs and with such style and discipline. The story of how he turned John Robertson round and moulded together a great team. The Derby team was great too and could have gone onto European success themselves but for very dodgy refereeing. Older Derby fans remember games v Juventus and Real Madrid particularly for the officiating as much as the matches. Clough was livid and he was not one for calling refs. It is often overlooked what a great side Derby were. I love the story of how he got Roy McFarland to sign, turning up at his house and refusing to leave until he did.

The Clough-Taylor relationship is a classic tragic story really that didn't need The Damned United with its artistic licence and, in my opinion overly negative portrayal of Clough. Taylor had such an eye for a player and the distinct impression I have is Clough got that one badly wrong when they split. Taylor hadn't been well and packed n Forest then appeared at Derny which didn't work out. Clough deeply regretted not reconciling.
Have you read Clough's autobiography?

He describes how he and Taylor persuaded Dave Mackay to join Derby from Spurs.

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is that they built the Forest side with a bunch of rejects, like Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, our Ian Bowyer and Robertson.

Have you read Clough's autobiography?

He describes how he and Taylor persuaded Dave Mackay to join Derby from Spurs.

Something else that hasn’t been mentioned yet in this thread is that they built the Forest side with a bunch of rejects, like Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, our Ian Bowyer and Robertson.

Absolutely. The Leicester story is the closest to what happened at forest since. They had a team of old experienced journeymen and unknowns. Incredibly they only spent 72 million pounds.

Himself and Swales would have been an interesting mix. Two huge ego's. It could have gone either way. They could have admired one another and been great or clashed and been a total disaster. Sadly we never got to find out.
Don't think Peter Swales could have coped with Clough's frankness and bluff manner.
(Malcolm Allison seemed to have a similar swagger about him).
"The Chairman" Swales would have sacked Cloughie after three months in my opinion...

Don't think Peter Swales could have coped with Clough's frankness and bluff manner.
(Malcolm Allison seemed to have a similar swagger about him).
"The Chairman" Swales would have sacked Cloughie after three months in my opinion...

Probably right, though if results were going well maybe not.
I look back on the seventies as the what could have been era. We should have won the title in 1972 I think it was. We lost to Wolves in the league cup final in 1974 due to bad luck and an inspired performance by their rookie keeper Gary Pierce. We had a great side and should have won the title in 1977. I wonder what we could have achieved with Clough as our manager.

Probably right, though if results were going well maybe not.
I look back on the seventies as the what could have been era. We should have won the title in 1972 I think it was. We lost to Wolves in the league cup final in 1974 due to bad luck and an inspired performance by their rookie keeper Gary Pierce. We had a great side and should have won the title in 1977. I wonder what we could have achieved with Clough as our manager.
Yes, it's a great "what if" story with City and Brian Clough.
Clough would have had much more money to spend than when he was at Derby.
The expectation would have also been much greater as City were then a much bigger and more recently successful club...

Yes, it's a great "what if" story with City and Brian Clough.
Clough would have had much more money to spend than when he was at Derby.
The expectation would have also been much greater as City were then a much bigger and more recently successful club...

We won the league cup twice and the European cup winners cup in the seventies but it could and should have been more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.