Brian Clough

"I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Cloughie, of course.
There was a story that, on one occasion that Forest lost and performed very badly, Clough put his head round the dressing room door and said: "Sorry lads, my fault, I picked the wrong team" Then immediately departed. Brilliant..

Clough wanted his teams to play good football on the floor. He wanted and believed that was the correct way to play. Steadfast in his beliefs and philosophy and won leagues and European cups because of it. I see a lot of similarities in the Clough-Revvi relationship as in Pep and Jose.

its 15 years this year since his death, arguably the greatest British manager for his achievements with Derby and particurly Forest, did anyone ever meet this great man or what are your thoughts on "Cloughie"

I agree with you regarding Cloughie being the greatest British manager.

To take one provincial club to the league title is some achievement, but to then do it with another one, and go on to win the European Cup, not once, but twice is absolutely phenomenal.

People go on about the money he spent on players like Trevor Francis, but he never had a seemingly bottomless pit of transfer funds. Forest were only able to afford to buy Francis because of the success Clough and Taylor brought to the club.

Clough wanted his teams to play good football on the floor. He wanted and believed that was the correct way to play. Steadfast in his beliefs and philosophy and won leagues and European cups because of it. I see a lot of similarities in the Clough-Revvi relationship as in Pep and Jose.

Don Revie wasn’t a nice man, but he was nowhere near as odious as the Portuguese eye-gouging twat.

He was on a tv studio panel for a world cup match I think it was when the goalkeeper took a boot to the face and was concussed. Cloughie wasn't impressed by the lad and said "if he didn't want to get his 'ead kicked he shouldn't have left it there." Rest of the panel could barely contain their mirth.

I remember Brian Clough when I was younger always straight to the point also remember him saying if football was to be played in the air god would of put grass up their

Unfortunately yes. He was staggering across the road in a Derby suburb, I thought it safer for him, if I helped him home. No thanks expected or received. What a pity. 8.00am

Go on tell us more, how did you manage to get in the dressing room?

For what it's worth having been brought up in the 60's and 70's he symbolizes old school football, long before Sky TV and 5-30 kick offs on a Saturday.
I was on the books at Leeds and we used to tidy the dressing rooms (picking up towels and such) while the players were getting ready before and after the match.

I was walking around tidying up their mess when, as I approached a player standing on the bench (didn’t all have their own closets back then!), rather than hand me the towel, he threw it on the floor at my feet.

Cloughie was walking around talking to the players and saw this and told the “star” to get down, pick it up, and hand it to me.

I was a 16 yr old nobody and nothing, yet he treated me as a valuable human being and made a supposed “someone” be more human in front of everyone.

I’ll never forget it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.