Brian Clough

There were no free transfers galone. It's a myth.
Shilton was the most expensive goal keeper in the world when he signed for forest early on in their only title winning season.
Trevor Francis was the most expensive footballer in the world ..signed in time for the intial European cup win when he of course scored the winner.
Players like Larry lloyd and kenny burns cost decent money...as did loyal career servants like Mcgovern john o hare and archive Gemmil. ..Anderson and Roberts on were already at forest when clough turned up....Gary birtles tbf was cheap as chips from long Eaton utd ...
Later on in his forest managerial career Clough wasted millions and millions on Fashanu Wallace and Peter Ward.all crap.

Brilliant manager ,great motivator ,top disciplinarian and a firm believer in playing football on the deck and passing to feet when most teams hit it long and in the air.....his teams counter attacked at breath taking speed (utd 0 Forest 4)....but he spent money and there were no free transfers.

Ok you have a point on wasted money but how much did Lloyd and Burns cost , was Burns a centre forward at Birmingham? Who was the guy who played 4 us think he scored against Liverpool in a semi final , left back ?

You have made me doubt myself but am gonna stick to what I said about free transfers happily be proved wrong

Learned something just today, how many of you guys know or remember this, Brian Clough managed Brighton and Hove Albion for 12 months after he left Derby, and before he went to Dirty Leeds. Thought it was a mis information when I heard it on a quiz show.

Learned something just today, how many of you guys know or remember this, Brian Clough managed Brighton and Hove Albion for 12 months after he left Derby, and before he went to Dirty Leeds. Thought it was a mis information when I heard it on a quiz show.

Yes, I knew that. I've read his autobiography. I don't think it was a particularly happy time in Clough's managerial career.

Iirc, Clough went to Brighton without Taylor. Cause or result of split?
Edit Correction. Just looked it up and my memory was quite wrong. Both went to Brighton, but, when Clough went to Leeds, Taylor stayed at Brighton. They were reunited at Forest.

Last edited:
Iirc, Clough went to Brighton without Taylor. Cause or result of split?
Edit Correction. Just looked it up and my memory was quite wrong. Both went to Brighton, but, when Clough went to Leeds, Taylor stayed at Brighton. They were reunited at Forest.
All acted out in dramatic fashion by Michael Sheen and Timothy Spall in the superb football film,The Damned United.

Brighton were in the Third Division at the time as well.

Ok you have a point on wasted money but how much did Lloyd and Burns cost , was Burns a centre forward at Birmingham? Who was the guy who played 4 us think he scored against Liverpool in a semi final , left back ?

You have made me doubt myself but am gonna stick to what I said about free transfers happily be proved wrong

Larry Lloyd cost £60,000.

Kenny Burns cost £150,000.

Kenny Burns was converted from a fairly decent centre forward to a centre half.

I think he was voted footballer of the year as a centre half as well.

At the risk of sounding like a bit of a cock, Im going to say that probably everyone knew that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.