Brian Clough

I only remember him as a manager, but my dad often reminds me, what a tremendous player he was too.
Should he crop up in conversation.

A lad I used to work with some years ago went to school in Derby, their cross country run went by the bottom of Cloughies garden and more often than not he would be stood there with his arms behind his back shouting " Come on lads we'll have you playing for Derby yet!"

I went to the 78 Charity shield with some Forest mates when they slaughtered Bobby Robson's Ipswich 5-0

A one off was Cloughie.

Not sure if it has been mentioned on here yet but my favourite Cloughie quote was him answering a question about how he dealt with players and staff who disagreed with him....

"That's easy, we sit down and have a chat about it for 20 mins then we agree I'm right"

It's often overlooked how good a footballer Clough was - 251 league goals in 274 appearances for Sunderland and Middlesbrough. He had played for England only twice when he had to retire aged only 29, suffering a cruciate ligament injury in a collision with the opposing keeper (I think it was Bury's Chris Harker).

There may be some who didn't even know he played League football.

It's often overlooked how good a footballer Clough was - 251 league goals in 274 appearances for Sunderland and Middlesbrough. He had played for England only twice when he had to retire aged only 29, suffering a cruciate ligament injury in a collision with the opposing keeper (I think it was Bury's Chris Harker).

I did. My dad told me enough times ;-)

It's difficult to judge how good he really was though because most of those goals were scored in the Second Division.

Steve Bull scored a load of goals in the Second Division and went to a World Cup with England.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.