Brian Cox

Gravity powerful enough to hold everything to the surface yet has no hold on a helium balloon. If earth was a ball and say for example UK at the top and Australia at the bottom , if you jump feet first then how do you come out feet first on the other side of the ball
Helium doesn’t evade gravity at all. In a vacuum helium would fall towards the centre of the earth the same as everything else does.

What you see is helium being lighter (less dense) than air and thus moving upwards through the air until such time as it is on top of the atmosphere. Another way of seeing the same thing would be oil moving to the top of a body of water (again being less dense). Or picture a log floating on water if the oil analogy doesn’t work in your head. The log is not defying gravity any more than helium is.

Again I don’t understand your question regarding feet first.

You’ve still not answered my questions I see.

If having to put up with your views and opinions

Hahaha re programmed brilliant absolutely brilliant.

I'm sure the agents will be gentle, so long as you don't resist too much... ;-)

I’m struggling to read one of Steven Hawking’s books at the moment and being honest it’s a little heavy for me.

I’m sure lots people have read or heard of Bill Bryson’s book ‘A Short History Of Nearly Everything’. It’s a brilliant read for the layman, I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.
Fabulous book by a great writer. I highly recommend it too.

I’m struggling to read one of Steven Hawking’s books at the moment and being honest it’s a little heavy for me.

I’m sure lots people have read or heard of Bill Bryson’s book ‘A Short History Of Nearly Everything’. It’s a brilliant read for the layman, I couldn’t recommend it highly enough.

Great book but then I love Bill Bryson and may be slightly biased :)

Gravity powerful enough to hold everything to the surface yet has no hold on a helium balloon. If earth was a ball and say for example UK at the top and Australia at the bottom , if you jump feet first then how do you come out feet first on the other side of the ball
Issac Newton must be levitating in his grave.

Helium doesn’t evade gravity at all. In a vacuum helium would fall towards the centre of the earth the same as everything else does.

What you see is helium being lighter (less dense) than air and thus moving upwards through the air until such time as it is on top of the atmosphere. Another way of seeing the same thing would be oil moving to the top of a body of water (again being less dense). Or picture a log floating on water if the oil analogy doesn’t work in your head. The log is not defying gravity any more than helium is.

Again I don’t understand your question regarding feet first.

You’ve still not answered my questions I see.
Is Australia the other side of the ball, and would you come out feet first.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.