Brighton (H) | Post-Match Thread

Rodri and Eddie's worst game for us, but that was more down the excellent tactics deployed by Brighton, very impressed with them.

The right back, Caceido and Trossard are all top players.

I could see a midfielder or forward was always closing the lane to Rodders.

Eddie, aside from the excellent assist for Erling, has been poor all season with his feet and gave away so many passes yesterday.

I thought Erling and Bernie dragged us to the points yesterday. Pep was bang on about Kev not being close to his usual levels.

Very worrying again the lack of quality from Mahrez and Grealish when they start together.

Mahrez, is particular, can't believe the club handed such a long term deal at his age.

We did not do better when Foden and Mahrez started together facing a below avg Crystal Palace at home. Actually I think first half of Brighton game our attacking is okay comparing to the disorganized action vs CP in the first half.

wins a win. not great but Brighton are decent this season.

the whole right flank is a bit of a mess so far this season.

This was actually an entertaining game. Very impressed with Brighton and their set up under De Zerbi (I think he'll be linked with us in the future) - our inverted full back system is loosely based on his initial build up, where you look to play quick vertical passes through pressure by dragging the opposition narrow.

First half we tried to create an overload/break their man to man press by allowing Ederson to bring the ball level with Dias as an extra centre back effectively. Not sure there was enough movement, but prior to the first goal Ederson should've probed more with that longer pass.

We shut down them well with KDB & Bernardo man marking the two deep midfielders to prevent those passes into them.

Second half they were very aggressive man to man and closed Ederson down much more. He's also carrying an injury and that was having an effect on his longer kicking. We didn't retain the ball well enough though.

I do think there's a concentration/intensity issue in games we're leading, but this needs to be balanced against workload. Must be a very odd situation for players, knowing one muscle injury puts you out of the World Cup, but playing two/three games a week.

Rodri and Eddie's worst game for us, but that was more down the excellent tactics deployed by Brighton, very impressed with them.

The right back, Caceido and Trossard are all top players.

I could see a midfielder or forward was always closing the lane to Rodders.

Eddie, aside from the excellent assist for Erling, has been poor all season with his feet and gave away so many passes yesterday.

I thought Erling and Bernie dragged us to the points yesterday. Pep was bang on about Kev not being close to his usual levels.

Very worrying again the lack of quality from Mahrez and Grealish when they start together.

Mahrez, is particular, can't believe the club handed such a long term deal at his age.

Eddie's form is a bit concerning this season. There's a balance of course. He gives the ball away to Welbeck and gets away with it and then plays a blinder of a ball through to Haaland. But in the biggest of games we need him to be a rock and I felt, in the home leg against Madrid, his slightly ambitious passing led to more nervousness at the back which then seemed to spread to others. We were the architects of our own downfall in that game, when we should have been 3-0 up.

Did you miss Haalands first goal?
No, I didn't miss it and it was a wonderful assist by Eddie. However he could have cist us the points as well. I know he can't be perfect but maybe he didn't get the their goal because he was injured. Just saying.

This ^
Yeah I don't get the "we were rubbish" comments really. It's the result that counts. So many times we played really really well and didnt score, even lost the odd game, were much more frustrating imo.
Now we have Erling.
Agreed Bill but this season other than the Rags and possibly the Dippers we don’t appear to be fully at it. I know we are changing the way we play but I am worried that better teams will find us out. Brighton are arguably the best footballing team we will play (maybe the Arse) and they had more possession and made us look very vulnerable. Wolves controlled the ball with 10 men against us as well (without hurting us) and the Toon basically took it to us. We have lost the control somewhat and I hope we figure it out soon as my nerves and nails can’t take it!

Agreed Bill but this season other than the Rags and possibly the Dippers we don’t appear to be fully at it. I know we are changing the way we play but I am worried that better teams will find us out. Brighton are arguably the best footballing team we will play (maybe the Arse) and they had more possession and made us look very vulnerable. Wolves controlled the ball with 10 men against us as well (without hurting us) and the Toon basically took it to us. We have lost the control somewhat and I hope we figure it out soon as my nerves and nails can’t take it!
I honestly think mate that we were as good as we needed to be v Brighton.
I think Pep has drilled into the lads to conserve energy with so many games in our season.
We stayed in lower gears because we could.

Crazy. NUFC top 4. Where were you when you were shit:) I feel it coming on.
If you look at the attendances at St. James’s when they were shit, the answer is they were in the boozer.
Him: ”Just going to watch the Toon, darling”
Her: “A likely story.”

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.