Brighton post match thread

Complacency will be our biggest hurdle this season. We just couldn't get going, but punctuated this with moments of attacking brilliance. Hopefully pre-season is out of our system now.

There was a heated debate during pre-season about the importance of replacing Vinny. I was in the camp of 'Don't take chances', whilst others were in the happy clappy camp & pointing out that worrying about something that hadn't happened was all 'If's, buts & maybe's', followed by 'We can use the EDS kids, Fernandino & Walker, so stop flapping'. Right now we're down to one fit CB, & I've never been so glad to see an international break. Was the risk really worth it?

I get we don't want to buy for the sake of buying, as we only want quality, but going through a season with only 3 recognised senior CB's was always going to be risky. I never thought if it at the time, but even a Gary Cahill, or David Luiz would have provided short term cover on the cheap as insurance for situations like this.

I suppose we'll soon find out if our EDS options can step up in our hour of need. I just hope not replacing Vinny doesn't jump up & bite us on the arse.
Otamendi and Stones are fit.

That’s not really an answer. The achievements of a team can mask the shortcomings of individuals.
Steve Bruce won loads of honours for united, including - having just looked it up - 3 premier leagues, yet he never played for his country and to my mind was also not a player of the very highest standard. I for one am not
saying Zin is a poor player - I think he’s really good and adds value going forward. I just think he has too many significant errors in him which cost us, to be classed as “of the very highest standard”, cos that’s the level the first XI of this team demands. We’re aspiring to be the team in Europe aren’t we? He wouldn’t be in mine. I’d like to have a look at Cancelo next game, even if it’s at LB.
That's not really an answer either, Steve Bruce was a quality defender who by most people's opinion was unlucky not to pick up any international caps, integral part of a back four for the rags that started them on a road to success, now I hate the scum as much as anyone but shouldn't really use Steve Bruce as an example.

Zinchenko caused just about all our problems today including a horrendous pass causing the break away for Laporte injury. I don’t like to pick on one player but he isn’t good enough
He made a couple of mistakes but he was also instrumental in creating our goals. Firstly with the pass down the side of the defender for Silva to run on to before crossing to De Bruyne, secondly the ball fizzed into Silva for Aguero’s second in the top corner.

The mistakes he made, certainly one he went fucking mental at Otamendi or Laporte (can’t remember) for not shouting there was a man on. If he’d been told he would have played simple and just played backwards rather than trying to open his body to play forwards. Same with the other one when he got booked, someone needs to be giving him an easy option or a shout to clear his lines there. I’m not saying Zin wasn’t to blame because he was but he could have been helped by more vocal teammates on those two occasions.

That’s not really an answer. The achievements of a team can mask the shortcomings of individuals.
Steve Bruce won loads of honours for united, including - having just looked it up - 3 premier leagues, yet he never played for his country and to my mind was also not a player of the very highest standard. I for one am not
saying Zin is a poor player - I think he’s really good and adds value going forward. I just think he has too many significant errors in him which cost us, to be classed as “of the very highest standard”, cos that’s the level the first XI of this team demands. We’re aspiring to be the team in Europe aren’t we? He wouldn’t be in mine. I’d like to have a look at Cancelo next game, even if it’s at LB.
I’m sure Cancelo is decent but he ain’t a left back either. Zin had a poor game yday but he has been excellent and was good enough to help us win a treble

I’m sure Cancelo is decent but he ain’t a left back either. Zin had a poor game yday but he has been excellent and was good enough to help us win a treble

Understood. As I tried to refer to before, just cos he’s played in a successful team doesn’t make it all ok imho, or mean that he is what’s required.
Re Cancelo, you may be right, but we haven’t seen yet to decide!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.