British Lions

denislawsbackheel said:
football has a hell of a lot to learn from Rugby Union especially when it comes to respect for the ref.

The ONLY thing in my opinion.
Apart from that Rugby Union is a disgrace. I have personal experience its yobbish 'hooray Henry' fans terrorising a waiting room/bar at a rail station forcing everyone else outside. Their boorish, immature, misogyny is embarrassingly childish, as are their pathetic songs. The game's administrators seem incapable of doing something about the thuggery that is ruining the game and leading to kids leaving in droves. Considering how few people actually play the game or even watch it live it is given a ludicrously disproportionate amount of air time.

Blimey, what a load of old tosh!

denislawsbackheel said:
football has a hell of a lot to learn from Rugby Union especially when it comes to respect for the ref.

The ONLY thing in my opinion.
Apart from that Rugby Union is a disgrace. I have personal experience its yobbish 'hooray Henry' fans terrorising a waiting room/bar at a rail station forcing everyone else outside. Their boorish, immature, misogyny is embarrassingly childish, as are their pathetic songs. The game's administrators seem incapable of doing something about the thuggery that is ruining the game and leading to kids leaving in droves. Considering how few people actually play the game or even watch it live it is given a ludicrously disproportionate amount of air time.

I take it that you do not like rugby and have never been to a game and did not bother to watch what has been a wonderful series, your comments seem somewhat bizarre however as this is an open forum you are more than entitled to air your opinion.

Immaculate Pasta said:
jimharri said:
Immaculate Pasta said:
Still can't understand how a team that hand picks the best players from 4 of the strongest rugby nations cannot beat one nation.
Probably something to do with the fact that the Lion's team is cobbled together and aren't used to playing alongside one another. The Lions only tour every 4 years. Added to that, the fact that they are playing the World Champions, in their own back yard. Also, they should have won at least one of the first two tests (last week).

I reckon if you got the best players from England, Argentina, Brazil and Spain they could beat Italy easily or any other nation in football.

Fair point, but you are thinking in football terms, its different in rugby, its about who 'combines' well with who, not necessarily who's the 'best'. Combinations are important, thinking on the same wave-length instinctively, the key to breakdown any defence, takes a little time. The Lions needed one more warm-up match I reckon in that respect. Remember the team in the 1st Test hadn't played together in a competative match before that point.
Also, as jimharri said, it was the biggest rugby test of all, playing the world champions in their own backyard at 'their' sport, with all that history.

One other point, you would be choosing players from the, argueably, best footballing nations in the world. The nations that make up the Lions are not the best rugby nations.

The Lions won the tour on points scored ( I think).

Proud of them today.

What a performance!

BlueMoon93 said:
Excellent performance from all of the lads. Rob Kearney was out of this world again and I thought Jamie Heaslip was awesome along with Mike Phillips.

Mike Phillips = Hard Bastard

Could have won all 3 games but that is the name of the game, Thugby and thats what won it for the SA (2nd test) Ref bottled the sending off.

mancitygaz said:
BlueMoon93 said:
Excellent performance from all of the lads. Rob Kearney was out of this world again and I thought Jamie Heaslip was awesome along with Mike Phillips.

Mike Phillips = Hard Bastard

He's a big fucker for a scrum half tbf and gets stuck in. If Harry Ellis was a bit bigger he could be a real tough nut, but he fronts anybody and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Oolon Colluphid said:
leighton said:
Great result today I had Shane Williams to score first try today 12/1 so will get back €65 not bad. Williams should of got more game time against SA he would of been better than the other wingers who got a shot before him.

Overall best Lions player for me Rob Kearney justs pips Mike Phillips that bloke is a great talent centre or scrum half and some of the hits he puts in. Amazing. Good to see Heaslip get back to some sort of form of the 6 Nations made some good brakes. The Lions will be gutted as they should of come away with the series win only for poor decisions by the coaching team.

What about Steven Jones? You can't ignore his efforts. As for Shane Williams he had the most chances of any player to prove his form prior to the tests. But it was good to see most, if not all, of the younger players doing really well.
Going for a 'lightweight' mobile pack in the first test let us down.
However, it was also an important win for the Lions concept

Steven Jones his kicking let him down at times. The first test he had a nightmare kicking. Second test he didn't put a foot wrong and even today at times he messed up a bit. Still a good preformace.
The Lions were unlucky with injuries if Stephen Ferris would of been fit the 6 , 7 and 8 that would of started the first test would of been Wallace , Ferris and Heaslip during the 6 nations they were brilliant. Those 3 and the Welsh 9 and 10 would of been more stronger in the first tests.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.