Budget 2024

Everything would have to be private, no chance it happens unless you say if you turn 18 on a certain date you have to fund yourself everyone else will be entitled to it until they die, but then that has to be funded! I think it would be up there with poll tax riots if they tried it, I know I’ll be out throwing my zimmer frame at them.
I'm not devoted to the NHS. The same people working in the NHS would end up working in any replacement idea presumably so we are not talking about such a radical change as often mooted. And of course the idea that it is free is a bit silly. What we should be doing is looking at the best solutions for our health care (and if that turns out to be the NHS then fine) and running with that. We should not be afraid of change. All ideas should be on the table and discussed.

Private pensions are the now. I don't know anyone who thinks they can live off £204 a week.

At 33 I’m not labouring under the misapprehension that pensions will even exist by the time I reach retirement age (which will probably be another 50 years anyway).

I’m saving on the assumption my wife and I will get no help. I’m in a fortunate position to be able to do so. Not so sure that the vast majority of my age group are in that kind of position.

I'm not devoted to the NHS. The same people working in the NHS would end up working in any replacement idea presumably so we are not talking about such a radical change as often mooted. And of course the idea that it is free is a bit silly. What we should be doing is looking at the best solutions for our health care (and if that turns out to be the NHS then fine) and running with that. We should not be afraid of change. All ideas should be on the table and discussed.

All ideas should be on the table and discussed

Universal health care. An idea so popular that every wealthy, industrialised nation provides it. Except the US, because they are dumb. Thats my idea on the table.

I think its a winner.

Mate my wife has type one diabetes she gets insulin for free (yes I know she pays taxes) just have a Google at what USA ap have to pay for insulin because they mark up the price, people literally starve to afford it if you haven’t got medical insurance. If they stopped nhs tomorrow no medical company would insure her! It’s bad enough getting travel insurance. The NHS gets lots of money it’s just fucking wasted, PFI (brought in by Labour I might add) have ruined it, want a ear bud, cost 1p outside PFI £1 that’s where our money is wasted.

There no £35bn contract, it’s just Twitter nonsense.

There’s a £3.4bn investment, which it’s hoped will deliver savings and efficiencies equivalent to £35bn of funding.

It’s the Tory equivalent of the ‘magic money tree’ where we spend £3.4 billion and watch it ‘magically’ generate ten times that in savings.

In reality, we spend £3.4 billion and…well, that’s it. In other news the guy who won the contract buys a private island and ends up on the cover of Private Eye.

If National Insurance contributions are scrapped then how will the NHS / Retirement Pensions be funded?

They won’t be scrapped. They may get called something different, but if we want universal heath care and a pension (which everyone does) then you need to fund them.

No amount of gimmicks, savings or fancy words is changing that.

Most people on benefits pay council tax same as everyone else
They don’t Kaz, there’s plenty that don’t pay. Did you see that last week where Energy Companies used to put a levy of £26 per year on everyone who pays their fuel bills to cover those that don’t pay? It’s now gone up to £43, same as those who refuse to pay Council Tax, what’s the process of recovering debt from those without liquidity? You can’t send them to jail and Community Service isn’t an option as most just refuse to turn up, it’s sadly a broken system.

Edit: sorry I didn’t see you posted “most” apologies

Last edited:
The Tories do seem to be thinking of phasing out National Insurance.

I would justify NI on this basis:

1. It pays for (and often qualifies you for) sick and unemployment benefits that non-workers do not need and do not get.

2. It defines your entitlement to the state pension. State pensioners have already 'earned' this benefit and do not need to pay again.

On the other hand, I think pensioners should make a modest NI contribution towards the NHS, for which they have a great need.

A problem that the next government must face is the imminent issue of state pensioners with no other income having to pay tax. I can see this being administratively awkward, especially if it is not on a PAYE basis. It will also cause great resentment. Rationally, if your income is at a level that attracts IT, its source should be irrelevant. However, I guarantee that people on state pension and nothing more will not see it that way. It will be a political hot potato.

The writing was on the wall for NI in it's current guise when Universal Credit was thrown into the pot.

Benefits are only a nudge away from ALL being means tested and that could include future OAP's too.

Those of us who were/are public servants saw how the rules of our occupation pensions were ripped up overnight....the general public don't know what could be about to hit them.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.