Burnley Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were 100% going down under Dyche. Everton are 10th or something like that in the form table at home, and they have enough home games that they’ll get the points.

To be honest I’m not surprised but I am a bit nonplussed by the reaction today. Why should he be unsackable? He runs a club with a bigger wage bill than Napoli, competing neck and neck for the Serie A title and playing great football.

He’s done a good job like Pulis at Stoke, not as good as Allardyce at Bolton but he kept them treading water in the PL or got them back up when he got them relegated.

But after a decade of that, isn’t a club allowed to think about more than the status quo? We can go down with Dyche and do this all over again or we can roll the dice maybe miraculously stay up and if not restart with a plan that isn’t capped at 15th place being a good year?

I think being a football fan is about progress. Whether you’re in league 1 or mistake in the PL you just want tomorrow to be better than today, and Dyche is treading water.

I think the fact he’s been given some really good forwards this year and used them terribly has shown the owners he isn’t the man to get more out of a better squad.

I'm not convinced that the owners have that ambition, they just wanted a steady pair of hands to keep the club ticking over and stay in the PL with minimal investment and ideally generating profits without incurring too much risk.

But agree with the rest of the sentiment. He has run out ideas and run of steam. Apart from his damage limitation back fives or five man midfields against teams he expects to lose against, I can't say I have seen him play anything other than two backs of four.

Even Raneri and Hodgson who favour the same formation have mixed things up a bit more than that and got unexpected results.

He has also failed to bring in new players as first team stalwarts in key positions (full back, centre back and centre midfield) and had to rely on aging spine.

I think the wage bill comparison to Napoli is a bit harsh as Napoli will be top 5 in their league for wages and Burnley will be bottom 5 in ours.

Burnley have never been about progress. They’ve been about staying in the Premier League and creaming the profits.

Whoever replaces Dyche is more likely to play more attractive football. It is unlikely to get as many results though given their limited squad.

Mee and Tarkowski have been injured too much this season and that’s hindered them most. Then Wood leaving and Barnes not being fit have also contributed.

Dyche is a limited manager, but who could Burnley hire to play better football and get better results?

Could have said the same about Palace and Hodgson before they appointed Viera.

They were never kept up by one manager though and I would assume their wage bill was higher.

It‘s also one example, which could be an exception, rather than the rule.

True, but with a bit more imagination and inventiveness they could try and sign more technically skilled players and develop them and the team style of play instead of just relying on picking up cloggers from relegated PL teams and the championship.

Last edited:

True, but with a bit more imagination and inventiveness they could try and sign more technically skilled players and develop them and their style instead of just relying on picking up cloggers from relegated PL teams and the championship.
It’s a leap of faith though. Dyche had given them many years of PL money. It seems weird that they’ve sacked him now with little chance of staying up. He’s probably the guy they need to get them promoted again.

It’s a leap of faith though. Dyche had given them many years of PL money. It seems weird that they’ve sacked him now with little chance of staying up. He’s probably the guy they need to get them promoted again.

Getting promoted from the PL is a doddle if you have a reasonably competent manager and some quality players. Clubs have got promoted after sacking managers in the same season.

Fact is Dyche has failed to live up to his reputation this season and I'd be surprised if there wasn't turmoil going on behind the scenes at the club.

He has as many wins this season as Xisco and Raneri had collectively with Watford, CR was sacked almost 3 months ago.

He certainly deserves another shot at a Premier League team ahead of blaggers like Lampard and Gerrard who get gigs for fuck all.

Weird time to sack him, in my opinion. They've, what, 7/8 games left? What's a new manager going to do that he couldn't at this point?

Speak clearly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.