Burnley Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice would be a much *nicer* move for Vin, IMO. A great city and an excellent club with some super talent in Todibo and especially Gouiri (if they can hold onto him). Fans are pretty demanding and will be hoping for a good Europa Conference run and top 6 push, so it will be a challenge, but much better than the unpredictability of the Championship. Vieira seemed to have a bit of an up and down time there but clearly learnt a lot and got a good move to the Prem after it, so Vinny could be looking to follow that example. Wish him the absolute best wherever he ends up.
Paddy experienced two changes in ownership whilst at Nice, which played a part in the ups and downs. Overall had a good time there though and left em in a much better state than when he arrived

In 1939 Hitler said "If international Jewry should succeed in plunging the nations once more into a world war, the result will be not the Bolshevisation of the earth but the annihilation of the Jewish race in Europe."

Not the most sensible thing to say but those were different times.

Given your persistent, hateful, anti-Israel views you'd have been better advised to keep your mouth shut about minimising antisemitism.
Dear oh dear oh dear. Yet another stupid comment made by someone desperate to defend a religious ideology. Your faith is no better than any other. When posters on here denounce the Catholic religion do others wade in with a zeal and fervour like you do ?
Your stupid disproportionate quote from Hitler is pathetic and your tone bullying.
If you took one second to consider my post instead of going on your holier (and better) than though rant you will perhaps understand it.
It was not so much about what he said, it was the fact it has taken nearly 50 years for someone to object and worse, for Burnley to consider renaming the Bob Lord Stand.
In 1974 this country was a bigoted, racist society. It has, thankfully, changed for the better but to now revisit comments 50 years later is stupid and pointless. If it was such a disgraceful remark, why haven't you been campaigning all these years against the man.
I respect you as a clever, knowledgeable poster but don't tell me what I should or should not think. You have a right to believe in some mythical so called divine being but don't come all bigger and better with me. It was a stupid ignorant comment but seeing how nobody has been bothered about it for half a century, why are they starting now. Its almost as if they need to find something, anything to be offended about.
So please take your zionist bullying attitude and do one.
My support of innocent Palestinians had nothing at all to do with my OP. The fact that you chose to make it so says more about you and your bigoted ideas.

Last edited:
History will define the 70's as a very weird decade. I agree that the past should stay there but I also that think that having football stands, roads, statues etc for dubious characters celebrates them in the present.
But how far back to you go in the moral outrage ? Racism was a mainstay of white uk citizens well into the 1980's. Sexist behaviour and domestic violence lasted even later than that and to a large degree, sadly, still does.
If there had been a long running campaign against the man and Burnley for naming the stand after him, it would have my support but there wasn't. He apologised and that seemed sufficient at the time what's changed ?

Dear oh dear oh dear. Yet another stupid comment made by someone desperate to defend a religious ideology. Your faith is no better than any other. When posters on here denounce the Catholic religion do others wade in with a zeal and fervour like you do ?
Your stupid disproportionate quote from Hitler is pathetic and your tone bullying.
If you took one second to consider my post instead of going on your holier (and better) than though rant you will perhaps understand it.
It was not so much about what he said, it was the fact it has taken nearly 50 years for someone to object and worse, for Burnley to consider renaming the Bob Lord Stand.
In 1974 this country was a bigoted, racist society. It has, thankfully, changed for the better but to now revisit comments 50 years later is stupid and pointless. If it was such a disgraceful remark, why haven't you been campaigning all these years against the man.
I respect you as a clever, knowledgeable poster but don't tell me what I should or should not think. You have a right to believe in some mythical so called divine being but don't come all bigger and better with me. It was a stupid ignorant comment but seeing how nobody has been bothered about it for half a century, why are they starting now. Its almost as if they need to find something, anything to be offended about.
My support of innocent Palestinians had nothing at all to do with my OP. The fact that you chose to make it so says more about you and your bigoted ideas.
Quite an aggressive anti Jewish rant there, in the 70s Jewish folks were able to attend synagogues in Manchester with no need for security etc, fast forward to today and its far less secure for them .Also Manchester even in the 70s was not an overly bigoted, racist city, far from perfect but even then a healthy mix in comparison to eg Burnley, and indeed Yorkshire where the nf were v active and cricket club v exclusive.

Very well put mate

Quite an aggressive anti Jewish rant there, in the 70s Jewish folks were able to attend synagogues in Manchester with no need for security etc, fast forward to today and its far less secure for them .Also Manchester even in the 70s was not an overly bigoted, racist city, far from perfect but even then a healthy mix in comparison to eg Burnley, and indeed Yorkshire where the nf were v active and cricket club v exclusive.
I am not normally aggressive but I will not be 'spoken to' like that.
Why is any comment where the Jewish faith is mentioned anti semitic? You have missed the whole point of the OP and it seems, to me, people of the Jewish faith are like Liverpool fans. They will defend there corner with aggressive bullying even when there is no threat to them. I was commenting on the 50 year gap between the comment and the outrage. I would have made the same comment if Lord had made a racist or homophobic remark.
Obviously prestwich blue fails to be able to act and think rationally when his faith is mentioned, but that's for him to deal with.

I am not normally aggressive but I will not be 'spoken to' like that.
Why is any comment where the Jewish faith is mentioned anti semitic? You have missed the whole point of the OP and it seems, to me, people of the Jewish faith are like Liverpool fans. They will defend there corner with aggressive bullying even when there is no threat to them. I was commenting on the 50 year gap between the comment and the outrage. I would have made the same comment if Lord had made a racist or homophobic remark.
Obviously prestwich blue fails to be able to act and think rationally when his faith is mentioned, but that's for him to deal with.
I guess the pertinent question now is Is it possible to criticise Judaism without being classed as anti-Semitic.

I wanted to make a point about attitudes to antisemitism.

While things were indeed different then, Lord was excoriated for his comments at the time and had to apologise. He was also probably corrupt as well, allegedly selling himself a piece of land adjoining the stadium cheaply, then selling it on at market price. Luckily for him all the relevant documents were burned.

The problem is that while we're doing markedly better on racist attitudes towards people of colour these days, antisemitism has probably got worse. "The Jews who run television" are now "the Rothschilds who control the world's banking systems" and "the Israel lobby who run the world". And the irony is that much of this comes from groups on the left, who wouldn't entertain a racist thought about a black person. The same people who are tearing down monuments to people connected to slavery have no issue with expressing anti-Jewish sentiments, often disguised as "anti-Zionism". I want to make it clear that there are many genuine and heartfelt criticisms you can make about Israel's treatment of Palestinian. Many Jews express these, me included. But, with many, that criticism is used to disguise their antisemitism.

And that's why this controversy has reared its head again after nearly 50 years. Things have changed since the 1970's but antisemitism is getting worse, not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.