Burnley Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess the pertinent question now is Is it possible to criticise Judaism without being classed as anti-Semitic.
What a stupid question from a highly intelligent person. We criticise religion all the time on here - Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the very concept of believing in a higher being.

The problem is where it strays over from questioning into hating a group of people, or all peopl, simply because they follow that religion.

What a stupid question from a highly intelligent person. We criticise religion all the time on here - Judaism, Christianity, Islam and the very concept of believing in a higher being.

The problem is where it strays over from questioning into hating a group of people, or all peopl, simply because they follow that religion.
Is it stupid though? It’s extremely hard to question anything about Judaism without being labelled thick or an anti-Semite.

In some ways, it is totally understandable, what with the hand of fate you have been dealt in the 20th Century.

However, it does seem to have tilted too far the other way, and any criticism is immediately shit down by shouting “anti-Semite”.

I doubt, in your heart of hearts, that you believe Blue Mist to be an anti-Semite, but when he says certain words of phrases, you are almost conditioned to call him anti-Semitic as it is the best way of shutting down debate and ignoring criticism at the same time.

Fucking wish Bellamy would rock up to this thread with a set of golf clubs and get it back on track.
Let's try. As we've seen in very recent years, there's still a sizeable, overtly racist element among their fanbase. They're probably proud of having a stand named after a racist.

And as for Kompany, I simply can't believe that a man with an MBA would have seriously considered going to this financial car-crash of a leveraged debt buyout.

I wanted to make a point about attitudes to antisemitism.

While things were indeed different then, Lord was excoriated for his comments at the time and had to apologise. He was also probably corrupt as well, allegedly selling himself a piece of land adjoining the stadium cheaply, then selling it on at market price. Luckily for him all the relevant documents were burned.

The problem is that while we're doing markedly better on racist attitudes towards people of colour these days, antisemitism has probably got worse. "The Jews who run television" are now "the Rothschilds who control the world's banking systems" and "the Israel lobby who run the world". And the irony is that much of this comes from groups on the left, who wouldn't entertain a racist thought about a black person. The same people who are tearing down monuments to people connected to slavery have no issue with expressing anti-Jewish sentiments, often disguised as "anti-Zionism". I want to make it clear that there are many genuine and heartfelt criticisms you can make about Israel's treatment of Palestinian. Many Jews express these, me included. But, with many, that criticism is used to disguise their antisemitism.

And that's why this controversy has reared its head again after nearly 50 years. Things have changed since the 1970's but antisemitism is getting worse, not better.
@Prestwich_Blue thank you for a much more measured and sensible reply.
I agree with much of what you have now said.
We are living in much more enlightened times. I still find it disgraceful that in 1952 we chemically castrated the leading mathematician and scientist Alan Turing simply because he was gay. Why we couldn't give him a room, a load of money and a request to build a better computer I don't know. Instead ignorant idiots had to basically kill him because of their stupid beliefs.
I also understand I caused offence on here when I put on my profile 'from the river to the sea' that was not my intention. That was my reaction to that idiot Patel basically making it a criminal offence to say it. I do support peaceful Palestinians but I also accept Israeli right to live in peace.
My only point about the current controversy was that it is 50 years old. Monty Python did several racist sketches, one where the neighbour was called Mrs Nig*erbator. Do we ban all MP sketches, bearing in mind they are probably quoted on here at least once a day ?
Fight current prejudices and problems not historical ones.
Anyway I'm off to search for Australia flights.

Let's try. As we've seen in very recent years, there's still a sizeable, overtly racist element among their fanbase. They're probably proud of having a stand named after a racist.

And as for Kompany, I simply can't believe that a man with an MBA would have seriously considered going to this financial car-crash of a leveraged debt buyout.
Granted Burnley and a segment of its support are knuckle draggers, but it’s not the whole fan base (I know lads who are home and away).

The financial side of things is interesting and as you say, Kompany is surely smart enough to realise that and has sought assurances.

Anderlecht weren’t in great shape when he took over and the thought of a similar rebuild at Burnley might appeal to him.

It’s a risk, but if he goes there and is known as the man who turned Burnley from cloggers to a footballing side, that’s a big reputation he’ll gain.

Bonus for us as I’d hope some of our young lads will be able to go there for experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.