Cameron suggests cutting housing benefit

speccybob

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18567855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18567855</a>

The prime minister has suggested that people under the age of 25 could lose the right to housing benefit, as part of moves to cut the welfare bill.

Scrapping the benefit for that age group would save almost £2bn a year.

In an interview in the Mail on Sunday, David Cameron said he wanted to stop those who were working from feeling resentment towards people on benefits.

Mr Cameron said the existing system was sending out "strange signals" on working, housing and families.

He called for a wider debate on issues including the cost of benefits.

BBC political correspondent Vicki Young said the article was a clear appeal to core Tory voters and MPs who have criticised Mr Cameron for failing to promote Conservative values.

'Trapped in welfare'
The Mail quoted Mr Cameron contrasting a couple living with their parents and saving before getting married and having children with a couple who have a child and get a council home.

"One is trapped in a welfare system that discourages them from working, the other is doing the right thing and getting no help," he said.

Mr Cameron said the welfare system sent out the signal that people were "better off not working, or working less".

"It encourages people not to work and have children, but we should help people to work and have children," he said.

He said that he also favoured new curbs on the Jobseeker's Allowance.

Downing Street said they were Conservative plans for after the next general election.

Later this week, Mr Cameron will set out more proposals for proposals aimed at cutting the UK's welfare bill.

The Mail said those under consideration included forcing some unemployed to do community work after two years on benefits.

In March, the government's Welfare Reform Act received Royal Assent.

That Act - which applies to England, Scotland and Wales - introduces an annual cap on benefits and overhauls many welfare payments.

To me the biggest one is them giving houses/flats to 16 years olds who get pregnant, they see it as a easy way out, once they get the house they are on the gravy train that is benefits, in Australia they get nothing, let's see how many would get pregnant over here if they knew there was nothing for them if they did.

Blue Maverick said:
To me the biggest one is them giving houses/flats to 16 years olds who get pregnant, they see it as a easy way out, once they get the house they are on the gravy train that is benefits, in Australia they get nothing, let's see how many would get pregnant over here if they knew there was nothing for them if they did.
There are girls at my daughters school who have openly admitted that this is exactly what they intend to do.

Other than the "obvious" exclusions then ANY person should only be allowed to remain on state benefits for a maximum period of time in their WORKING lives.

This should be drummed into all of society from the earliest possible time so there are no excuses.Once you have used up your allowances then that is it i'm afraid.
Simple really

Blue Maverick said:

The Australian rate of teenage pregnancies is similar to Britains.

If anybody thinks that teenagers are having sex because they think that it will get them into the benefits system, they legitimately need to stop voting. Teenagers have been having sex and getting pregnant for thousands of years.

I agree partly with this to be honest! All the systems are shite and the workers always get shat on!! Back on the isle of man at the moment I was shocked with what goes on! I know of alcoholics that get their house and bills paid for as they don't work, nearly £180 a week dole money AND £30 a day to help with their habit! Disgusted at times that I bust my bollocks working to pay into the economy and my taxes just so these lazy bastards can have the easy life! No encouragement for them to get clean and get back to work! I know times are tough but the government can't keep taking from the workers and raising taxes etc as it becomes impossible for us workers to live and survive! Having run a business for 12 years from a young age (was 22 when I started) I've seen the good and now bad times and every penny is vital! The isle of man is a tough place to be at the moment with it only being so small and when the government stop all building projects they don't appreciate the impact it has on the rest of the economy! There are people who have been on the dole for 10 years or more over here and it's wrong that they have everything provided for them and in theory have no reason to go out and work! In the mean time my taxes and bills go up to cover the lazy bastards who have got it easy!

Youth unemployment goes up by 20% during his government, so he wants to cut housing benefit to the under 25s. Obviously makes sense.

If his role model had not sold off the social housing, then the money from housing benefit would have been going back into the public purse to look after the houses, repair and upgrade these houses and to build more houses (ideally on brown field sites), employing tradesmen thus reducing the welfare budget, instead of this Thatcher decided to start selling our housing stock, B.liar continued this as did brown.
Many of these houses bought for knock down prices are now part of the rental market as they have been snapped up by the buy to let shysters, meaning that prices rocketed, banks were willing to offer mortgages of up to 5 times annual income (up from 2.5 times) and 125% mortgages.
Rather than picking on one section or "big society" (which may well fall foul of age discrimination legislation), Call me Dave would be better off looking at ways to increase the amount of housing benefit that remains in the public purse, ways to reduce the demand for social housing and increasing the amount that HMRC are able to collect by closing tax avoidance loopholes and prosecuting tax evaders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.