Cameron vetoes EU Treaty change

Rascal said:
Ducado said:
Rascal said:
it was a misguided attempt at super state creation, and it has failed

The British people must know that fedarlism and a single currency works, after all we have done it very succesfull since the 1707 act of union was passed in Scotland

And yes the economy is different in London to the Outer Hebrides but we manage it well enough.

We dont have border controls and many of our disparate peoples consider themselves British,
Oh yes it's worked a treat in Europe hasn't it.

I believe Cameron was thinking about the British people, I don't think you are though. I believe your being opportunistically contrary to the present government. You read the new statemam blog yet?

And what's wrong with the City?

Rascal said:
Ducado said:
Rascal said:

The British people must know that fedarlism and a single currency works, after all we have done it very succesfull since the 1707 act of union was passed in Scotland

And yes the economy is different in London to the Outer Hebrides but we manage it well enough.

We dont have border controls and many of our disparate peoples consider themselves British,

Not a great comparison. The UK is falling apart. Scottish separatists rule the roost in Scotland and boss their own parliament for which they seek more power. Increasingly people consider themselves English south of the border and not British despite our not having our own parliament like them to hang the English flag on. So that's not working and yet we doubtless have more in common with the Scots than the French and the Germans. So what chance is there that closer European Union would work? None.

Rascal said:
Ducado said:
Rascal said:

Evidently it is not working in Europe is it? Ask the German people if they are willing to bail out the Southern European countries? They are not nor is their government, I take it, with your left leaning sympathy you are willing to see your fellow Southern Europeans reduced to living in poverty for the next 20 years in the name of a superstate.

It could work if the richest part (Germany) agreed to fund the rest (just like this country) but they won't, we will be much better off away from the whole thing and so would the rest of Europe, nation states should be allowed to chose their own destiny, if they go bankrupt as many have in the past so be it, the banks lose their money, but in this case because of pure political vanity we are being forced through horrendous economic hardship

SWP's back said:
Rascal said:

Oh yes it's worked a treat in Europe hasn't it.

I believe Cameron was thinking about the British people, I don't think you are though. I believe your being opportunistically contrary to the present government. You read the new statemam blog yet?

Perhaps it hasnt worked in Europe because we have never given the continent the benefit of our experience and how we made it work, because we are always on the periphery.

Remember a Labour chancellor kept us out of the Euro, and Maggie etc signed all the treaties and nearly all the EU govts, are right wing..i should be against it really.

As Skashion stated, it's not a left/right thing.

Have you read the new statemam blog? The left should be very happy with Cameron.

SWP's back said:

Have you read the new statemam blog? The left should be very happy with Cameron.

Agreed. This shouldn't be a left/right tory/ labour issue.

But Labour's predictable response is just to criticise the government as usual. Everything I hate about our 2.5 party politics. Put it to a referendum as should happen and as should have happened already as per the last Labour gov't's broken promise. Hold a referendum and you'll find out exactly what the public think and want on this matter of even closer European Union.

SWP's back said:

I agree with Skashions point totally.

I dont read the new statesman sorry

As for the City of London its more idealogical for me, i dont believe so few should hold so much power over so many. Capitalism is failing and it is failing us all.

Rascal said:
SWP's back said:

I agree with Skashions point totally.

I dont read the new statesman sorry

As for the City of London its more idealogical for me, i dont believe so few should hold so much power over so many. Capitalism is failing and it is failing us all.
The City isn't failing us though. The City is one of the few successes of this country.

read the blog (link a good few pages back), as I said, the left really should be celebrating today.

We did not need any new treaty to (try) to save the Euro.

All that the markets are looking for is for the European Central Bank to step up to the plate as lender of last resort, and Germany to put its hand in its pocket to fund the recapitalization of the banks and sovereign debt bailout.

The problem is, the Belgians, Germans and French are hell bent on the establishment of a European super-state. They all know the Euro in the long term cannot work without common fiscal rules and governance. So they have seized the moment to foist on a feeble and desperate 17 nations, further binding regulation.

Because by and large the 17 economies are screwed, they are desperate. They have no alternative but to go along because their economies are screwed and they need the German's cash. Plus they are not culturally as strongly opposed to the ultimate end game of a new massive single European country as we are.

But it would have been utter madness for us to sign up to this. Cameron has done the only sane thing possible, which is to say a firm no thanks.

Ultimately the 17 (or 26 or however many ultimately sign up) will bitterly regret this. Wait until they have sky high unemployment, inflation and economic slump and all their powers to fix it have been taken away. They will bitterly regret their stupidity.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.