Campaign Against Use of the Term 'EPL'

Stuuuuuu

I've just seen another person using this term on the forum. I know I'm not the only one who finds this really irksome. I'm pretty certain that this is Yank talk, and I am strongly opposed to this moronic influence coming into use in England.

Does anyone on here say 'SLL' or 'Spanish La Liga'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'ISA' or 'Italian Serie A'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'German Bundesliga'? No.

So by this (sensible) logic, the only correct term is 'Premier League'. After all, there is no other Premier League to confuse it with, so why specify that it is English? Like I said above, we don't need to specify Italian or Spanish or German. Likewise we don't need to specify English.

I can understand people abbreviating it to 'PL'; but never 'EPL'.

As stated above i work in Scotland and if you talk about the PL up there they think of their own league not the English version So actually EPL has nothing to do with the Yanks.

PL in England = Premier League

PL in Scotland = Pub League

But the SPL was formed in 1997 - five years after the Premier League. So why should the Premier League be referred to as something else, just because the Scots (with all due respect) failed to give their own league an original name?

On a separate note, I know that the Premier League's full name is Barclays Premier League, but I'm sure most of us would rather leave out the name of a sponsor if we can help it - especially if it's the name of a bank! However, since the whole point of this thread is pedantry, I wouldn't argue with people saying BPL.

Not really bothered by the term to be honest.

We all know what people are referring to.

Stuuuuuu said:
I've just seen another person using this term on the forum. I know I'm not the only one who finds this really irksome. I'm pretty certain that this is Yank talk, and I am strongly opposed to this moronic influence coming into use in England.

Does anyone on here say 'SLL' or 'Spanish La Liga'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'ISA' or 'Italian Serie A'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'German Bundesliga'? No.

So by this (sensible) logic, the only correct term is 'Premier League'. After all, there is no other Premier League to confuse it with, so why specify that it is English? Like I said above, we don't need to specify Italian or Spanish or German. Likewise we don't need to specify English.

I can understand people abbreviating it to 'PL'; but never 'EPL'.

Just finished watching the "EPL Highlights show" on tv,i think you will find it is called the EPL in every other country but England.
Get over it.

Im pretty certain that the scottish had a premier league even back in the good old days of divisions 1 - 4 in England, before the Football League allowed the FA to take the top division away for the new "FA Premiership" and I would prefer to say EPL than FAPL (or 38 games in England and one somewhere else to make more money league)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.