Campaign Against Use of the Term 'EPL'

Sorry PomInOz, but in my opinion it is fucking disresepectful. So no, I won't 'get over it'. I wouldn't dream of calling La Liga by another name - I respect what the Spanish people created, and it is not my place to call it something else.

Yeah it does grate me a bit the EPL thing. It is an Americanism and foreign media and as we grow in world stature and a world audience who watch many teams in many leagues this will become more widely used.

But on the plus side as we get more known it might stop people (including David fucking pleat) referring to united as just Manchester, this pissed me off more than anything else in football

pominoz said:
Stuuuuuu said:
I've just seen another person using this term on the forum. I know I'm not the only one who finds this really irksome. I'm pretty certain that this is Yank talk, and I am strongly opposed to this moronic influence coming into use in England.

Does anyone on here say 'SLL' or 'Spanish La Liga'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'ISA' or 'Italian Serie A'? No.

Does anyone on here say 'German Bundesliga'? No.

So by this (sensible) logic, the only correct term is 'Premier League'. After all, there is no other Premier League to confuse it with, so why specify that it is English? Like I said above, we don't need to specify Italian or Spanish or German. Likewise we don't need to specify English.

I can understand people abbreviating it to 'PL'; but never 'EPL'.

Just finished watching the "EPL Highlights show" on tv,i think you will find it is called the EPL in every other country but England.
Get over it.

That's the point though, isn't it?

It's a term coined by and for the type of fairweather Malaysian and Chinese 'fans' that "love ManU" and are their "biggest fans ever" because they happen to see them on TV and have a Ryan Giggs bedspread.

I can't stand the term. It was never used until a couple of years ago, but the proliferation of internet message boards and those types of 'fans' on them bombarding them with this phrase has slowly seen it sink into football language. Plus, for the same reasons it is probably used in all sorts of console games, I'm guessing.

It is ridiculous. No-one used it for 20 years, so why start now just to pander to foreign markets. Let the Premier League market men use it in their foreign marketing, but why would fans use it here? It doesn't make any sense.

Stuuuuuu said:
But the SPL was formed in 1997 - five years after the Premier League. So why should the Premier League be referred to as something else, just because the Scots (with all due respect) failed to give their own league an original name?

On a separate note, I know that the Premier League's full name is Barclays Premier League, but I'm sure most of us would rather leave out the name of a sponsor if we can help it - especially if it's the name of a bank! However, since the whole point of this thread is pedantry, I wouldn't argue with people saying BPL.

The EPL cannot claim orginality as the Alliance Premier League was formed many years before.

Stuuuuuu said:
Sorry PomInOz, but in my opinion it is fucking disresepectful. So no, I won't 'get over it'. I wouldn't dream of calling La Liga by another name - I respect what the Spanish people created, and it is not my place to call it something else.

How can it be disrespectful?,it is how the rest of the world knows the "PL".
With so many leaques being shown on tv throughout the world,it is an easy way for viewers to know it is the English one.
Sorry if that offends.
13yfqmv.jpg

pominoz is correct, it's referred to as the English Premier League everywhere but home. It's all a bit NBA/NFLish for my liking, but it's not worth losing any sleep over. Many, many, many more people watch the Premier League abroad than in England and this is how the powers that be have chosen to package the English game to them, so you'd better get used to it.

Stuuuuuu said:
Sorry PomInOz, but in my opinion it is fucking disresepectful.
Write a strongly-worded letter to the Premier League and tell them so then because they're the ones who coined the phrase and passed it onto the rest of the world through the various magazine shows they push around the planet.

manchester blue said:
The EPL cannot claim orginality as the Alliance Premier League was formed many years before.

But it had a different name! The clue is in the word 'Alliance'. Besides, the APL no longer exists, so it isn't an issue.

pominoz said:
Stuuuuuu said:

How can it be disrespectful?,it is how the rest of the world knows the "PL".
With so many leaques being shown on tv throughout the world,it is an easy way for viewers to know it is the English one.
Sorry if that offends.

That's exactly what I mean: (some of) the rest of the world knows it as the 'EPL', which is disrespectful - just as if we decided to call Serie A something different.

As for your second point, we don't do that with La Liga or Serie A, so why do we need to distinguish the Premier League for people?

Look at other sports. Are we rude enough to re-name American sports when they are on TV over here? I'm talking baseball (known as 'rounders' in this country), basketball and American football. I'm not sure which sport it is, but I think one of them is called NFL(?) and one is NBA. Do we have the audacity to call them the ANFL and ANBA? No we do not.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.