Camping YES or NO

I go hiking and wild camping a lot. Generally people fall into two categories as with most outdoor activities and they either hate it or love it.

My advice would be not to rush out and buy loads of expensive gear straight away in case you don't enjoy it. Not everyone does.

Borrow some kit from a friend if you can, or if not, Decathlon is a great starting point. They do some excellent hiking and camping gear and very affordable prices.

And *DO NOT TAKE THE MRS*. Trust me, if you get into it, it's a brilliant opportunity to get away for a bit and have some peace and quiet.

I don't have a dog but loads of people take their dogs hiking and camping and dog's generally absolutely love it.

As for campsites, the one at Edale in the Peak District is great for exploring the Kinder Scout area and there's tons in the Lakes. There are campsites with basic facilities at Wasdale Head and Seathwate Farm in the western lakes which are great for the Scafell range, or Glenridding / Patterdale for the Helvellyn range. Really too many to mention but those are just off the top of my head.

I don't stay in campsites but those are all well liked places that are also very cheap and a good starting point.

Check out Paul Messner on YouTube, he has some excellent videos for people new to hiking and camping/backpacking.

Like many other hobbies though, if you do get into it it'll drain you of all your money. I spent 700 quid on a Hilleberg one man tent recently, which to most sane people will sound obscene I know.
I also like The English woodsman and dayley life or dayley outdoors on youtube and further afield,Xander Budnick from Canada

I spend the summer months sleeping in my back garden under a basha
(a tent with no side walls)

The freshest of fresh air, no missus getting up for a piss at 3am or constantly fidgeting, constantly waking me up.

Best sleep I ever get.

I've never been camping, it's never appealed to me to be honest..

Anyway about March this year my son said he'd like to go to the Good wood Festival of Speed.

I've seen bits of it previously on TV and it looks interesting.

He's into cars and stuff and I must admit, so am I.

So, back in March, I suggested we both go, he said we could book a camping / car plot for the 4 day duration.

I said "let's look at hotels around the festival site", warm bed, running hot water, flushing toilet, you know, basic stuff that makes the day go well..

I gave up after checking within a 50 mile radius of the festival for anything with a roof but the rates were exorbitant everywhere.

Camping it is then..

Muddy field, wet tents, sleeping bags and airbeds, cold showers, if they are actually working and suspect toilet facilities..

D day is now fast arriving, drive from Manchester to somewhere in Chichester on Wednesday morning and stay until Monday.

Oh and the weather down there is forecast rain, rain and more rain..

My question is, "how much beer do I need to take" ?

Should be good really, didn't do Bear Grylls any harm over the years..

It's nine in the morning, not too hungover. Got another 12 mile boat ride out of here and the fish are jumping
View attachment 85625

See, this is one of the great things I like about living in the US. There's just so many rivers hundreds of miles long where you can float all day, fish and swim. Set up your tent on a gravel bar for the night. Eat, drink, invariably no phone signal so you sit around the fire and actually talk. Set off the next day, same again. Sometimes spend a week on the river and hardly see a soul.

See, this is one of the great things I like about living in the US. There's just so many rivers hundreds of miles long where you can float all day, fish and swim. Set up your tent on a gravel bar for the night. Eat, drink, invariably no phone signal so you sit around the fire and actually talk. Set off the next day, same again. Sometimes spend a week on the river and hardly see a soul.
Idaho is blessed with so many, if you ever get the opportunity to do a 'Salmon River trip' take it. I've kayaked the Main Salmon many times, the Middle Fork of the Salmon, Hell's Canyon on the Snake, The Selway, The Owyhee, The Green in Utah, The Colorado through the Grand Canyon (18 nights on the river, private trip not guided). They're all pristine rivers and you could never tell anyone had ever been to one of the camp spots, they're immaculately clean because people care about the wilderness we have

Wild camping, yes. Crowded campsite, get to f*ck.

Just don't leave your car at the side of the road and wander up the mountains for a night under the stars. The police tend to get a bit twitchy about missing walkers and end up calling out the local MR team if they can't get hold of you through a DVLA check (contacting someone at the registered address).

Wild camping, yes. Crowded campsite, get to f*ck.

Just don't leave your car at the side of the road and wander up the mountains for a night under the stars. The police tend to get a bit twitchy about missing walkers and end up calling out the local MR team if they can't get hold of you through a DVLA check (contacting someone at the registered address).

Eh? I’ve been into hiking and wild camping for years and have left my car in lay-bys more times than I can remember. My only concern would be about potential thieves on the snake pass in the Peak.

Eh? I’ve been into hiking and wild camping for years and have left my car in lay-bys more times than I can remember. My only concern would be about potential thieves on the snake pass in the Peak.
Happened to me in N.Wales (I was kipping in the back of the van and the coppers woke me up at 2am when they stopped to check), and I've also been involved in a couple of searches for people who've just gone for a wander without telling anyone.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.