Can anyone recommend a good autobiography?

jamiegrimble said:
An Evil Cradling,Brian Keenan; 1991.
Brian Keenan went to Beirut in 1985 for a change of scene from his native Belfast. He became headline news when he was kidnapped by fundamentalist Shi'ite militiamen and held in the suburbs of Beirut for the next four and a half years. For much of that time he was shut off from all news and contact with anyone other than his jailers and, later, his fellow hostages, amongst them John McCarthy. A Good enough read to occasionally open it up again after all that time.

At least he had a warm seat near the radiator.

Try these two;

'The man who bet on everything'........
Titanic Thompson is the true story of one of the most charismatic characters in twentieth-century America. Travelling only with his golf clubs, a .45 revolver, and a suitcase full of cash, this is the legendary tale of a man who was married five times to five different girls, all teenagers on their wedding day. He killed five men, though he’d say ‘they’d all agree they had it coming to them’. He won and lost millions in a time when being a millionaire still really meant something. Filled with fascinating facts and famous faces – Harry Houdini, Al Capone, Lee Trevino, Arnold Rothstein and Jean Harlow all make appearances – this is a brilliant and compelling snapshot of life on the road in freewheelin’ America

Also Max Woosnam book 'All round genius' probably already discussed on here but brilliant.....
He was an all-rounder to rank, or even out-rank, Ian Botham, Denis Compton or Daley Thompson. As a schoolboy he scored 144 against MCC at Lord's. At Cambridge he earned no less then six Blues in everything from cricket to golf and squash. Then he played for Chelsea - as an amateur. Then he signed for Manchester City, and in 1922 was capped for England. He won an Olympic Gold medal in 1920 - at tennis, and won the Wimbledon doubles title the following year. He won a shooting gold medal at Bisley, he scored a 147 maximum at snooker, and he challenged and beat all-comers at table tennis armed only with a bread knife, including Charlie Chaplin. But all the meanwhile he held down a full-time job at ICI, sitting on the board in later life before dying in 1965...

Paul Lake,Stephen Fry,Frank Skinner all mentioned on here so far were really good. A Favourite of mine is the Bob Geldof one, one to avoid Bear Gryllis.

Dr Keith Simpson -home office pathologist
really old one he worked on some of the worse crimes in england, such as DrCrippen and the acid bath murders his pioneering work was very interesting

Really surprised by Chris Eubanks as he got right on my tits but reading his book changed my mind about him, very good

If you want a chuckle then Peter Kay, Jason Manford and Alan Partridge.

If you are into current affairs and politics then I recommend Nick Robinson's book.

Alan Sugar's book is an alright read but it becomes frustrating when you learn he will never accept being wrong especially with some of Amstrad's failures.

Barack Obama's is a good read

the one that i enjoyed much to my suprise was Michael J Fox autobiography , quite emotional read

Markt85 said:
Barack Obama's is a good read

the one that i enjoyed much to my suprise was Michael J Fox autobiography , quite emotional read
That one works best if you read it on a train or in a car/bus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.