can anyone recommend any good football autobiographies

Steak... Diana Ross: Diary of a Football Nobody by David McVay

A very funny and gritty account of life amongst the also rans of professional football in the seventies.

If you want to understand just how much the game has changed since the 70's (or want to remember the good old days) then read this book.

One that is often overlooked but a great read is Gary Nelson: 'Left Foot Forward: A year in the life of a journeyman footballer'.

Quinn's is truly excellent. It includes some tremendously funny anecdotes about going on the piss with Tony Adams and Paul Merson and about the comedy Swales-era antics at City.

If you read Goater's book and believed everything he says you'd go away thinking he was the greatest striker ever to lace up a pair of boots. Plus, why didn't he call his book Read the Goat? A missed opportunity I think (and not the 1st one in his career)!

Bell's book is dull as dishwater.

I also receommend The Football Business by City fan and Guardian writer David Conn. It's a few years old now but will make your blood boil at waht's been done to the game.

johnny on the spot said:
While not technically an autobiography, 'The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw', Guigsy's collection of anecdotes about the great Robin Friday, is well worth hunting down. An honest and heartfelt account of a man truly worthy of the title 'troubled genius'.

Yeah, this book is a great read.
I also enjoyed reading Frank Worthington's and Stan Bowles' books.
Both good for a laugh.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.