Can gay footballers ever come out?

BurnCK said:
Don't get this whole 'coming out' thing. Why do they need to make a statement....like it's a requirement to tell the whole world before you're officialy classed as 'gay'. Who gives a f*ck ??

My sentiments too mate.

Get on with your personal and professional life without feeling the need to bring a shit load of attention to yourself whilst doing so.

Im sure we watch many footballers that are gay but seriously, who gives a flying fuck, i watch them because of their talents on the pitch and nothing else and would be worried should any of them try to be different by making an announcement to the world that matters not one jot when it comes to playing football.

BlueCityfan said:
I hope they never come out. If i heard that one of my favourite players would be gay he wouldn't be my favourite player anymore.
Each time you would see an openly gay player on the field...you would think: "that guy is gay"...and you should concentrate on what they do on the pitch.

And it could ruin their future plans. But i also think there are not many professional gay footballers. And i hope this is the case. Dont blast me for having this opinion.

You are a supressed homosexual. I am sure of it.<br /><br />-- Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:50 am --<br /><br />
blueinsa said:
BurnCK said:
Don't get this whole 'coming out' thing. Why do they need to make a statement....like it's a requirement to tell the whole world before you're officialy classed as 'gay'. Who gives a f*ck ??

My sentiments too mate.

Get on with your personal and professional life without feeling the need to bring a shit load of attention to yourself whilst doing so.

Im sure we watch many footballers that are gay but seriously, who gives a flying fuck, i watch them because of their talents on the pitch and nothing else and would be worried should any of them try to be different by making an announcement to the world that matters not one jot when it comes to playing football.
I think this is only the case because it is very much supressed atm.

I am sure when it is close to acceptable in society, there wouldn't be a need to "come out".

blueinsa said:
BurnCK said:

My sentiments too mate.

"Coming out" is only a big deal because too many people are extremely backwards.

If it was accepted by all it would be as mundane an announcement as someone talking about their favourite type of gravy

blueinsa said:
BurnCK said:

My sentiments too mate.

Footballers fall out of clubs with girls on their arms all the time. They have their pictures taken and they get a quick "look at how daft he looks" in the papers. Now, replace those girls with guys and the coverage gets a lot more. Opposition fans' reactions I'm sure you can imagine. As soon as it's not newsworthy is the day when a player wouldn't need to make the announcement.

The problem is, it's all well and good to ask why people need to keep it to themselves. It is personal to them and it shouldn't matter to anybody else, but it does. The assumed position for anybody is heterosexual, so when there's a difference it becomes gossip and the press have a field day.

The choice appears to be: keep it personal and stay quiet and always be on your guard to keep your sexuality quiet and live that life pretending to be something you're not or you can tell people. So far, only one footballer has ever decided to tell people.

Coming out isn't brining attention to oneself, it's being open about oneself. However, when the person that's coming out is in the public eye, it gets reported everywhere. If it wasn't such a big deal, then the reporting wouldn't be as such.

Philipp Lahm, the captain of the German football team, has told homosexual players to keep their sexuality secret to avoid being verbally abused.

The Bayern Munich player, who is 27 and married last year, said it would be "very difficult" for a footballer to be "openly gay". But he insisted he would be comfortable to learn that any of his team-mates were gay.

The player's comments will fuel the debate about homophobia in the game and could lead to him being sanctioned by the German football federation, the DFB. In common with many national associations around the world, the DFB is keen to be seen to fight prejudice in the game. Its president, Theo Zwanziger, recently called for homosexual players to come out and promised them the association's help.

In March, he said: "I would find it brave and would welcome it if a football player would come out."

Last November, Mario Gomez, a striker and Lahm's team-mate, urged gay footballers to be open about their sexuality.

Gomez, the German league's top-scorer last season, said: "Being gay should no longer be a taboo topic."

Lahm, who has 77 international caps and is considered one of the game's best full backs, has established a foundation for disadvantaged children. He has acted as a figurehead for the battle against child abuse and been an ambassador for FIFA's SOS Children's Villages campaign and World Aids Day.

In 2007, he became the first German international to speak out against homophobia and, the following year, he was given an award for his contribution against intolerance by the Weimar Gay Triangle, a campaign group.

However, it appears that homophobia still haunts the game in Germany. Last July, in the build-up to Germany's successful World Cup, the agent of the former captain, Michael Ballack, said the team contained a "bunch of gays".

A few months earlier, Rudi Assauer, the former Schalke manager, was criticized for saying that there was "no place" for homosexual players in football.

Lahm told the celebrity magazine Bunte: "An openly gay footballer would be exposed to abusive elements. For someone who does [come out], it would be very difficult."

In England, the Football Association has a homophobia-in-football working group but not a single player has openly said he is homosexual in the top four leagues.

The last English footballer to come out was Justin Fashanu in 1990. He was subsequently offered no full-time contracts and later committed suicide.

In 2008, Paul Elliott, a retired Chelsea defender, estimated that there were more than a dozen homosexual Premier League players but they kept quiet for fear of a negative reaction from fans.

The England cricketer Steven Davies became that sport's first openly homosexual player when he came out in The Daily Telegraph in February, while Gareth Thomas, the former Welsh rugby union international, announced he was homosexual in 2009.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.canada.com/sports/Stay+closet+German+captain+advises+football+players/4812037/story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.canada.com/sports/Stay+close ... story.html</a>

If Beckham could openly court Posh Spice then John O'Shea could've openly courted Will Young. There's no real difference if they're a couple in love.

Homophobia is still rife in society despite significant steps forward. Instinct says the silent majority won't have a problem but the vocal minority will.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.