Can Steven Gerrard be classed as a domestic failure?

I wouldn't call him a failure but I think he suffered from managers and fans believing he was something he wasn't. Namely a centre midfielder, Gerrad for me was at his best when he could play the game on instinct and use his talent to score and create. His best years at Liverpool were behind Torres and in front of Alonso/Mascherano.

Before I get slated, I thought games passed him by when he played centre midfield with a lot of the wrong decision-making stopping him from grabbing a hold of games. This was never more evident then when he played for England, there was never a international tournament I saw him play in that he ever looked great in. The great CM of his generation, Xavi, Pirlo, Viera, Schweinstiger, Keane he never controlled games like they did. A better comparison position wise would be with players like Kaka, Ronaldinho, Silva etc.

Gerrard better than Yaya? Good grief man.

Gerrard was a good player who mastered the art of running around a lot and kicking a football very hard.

He had no tactical nous during a game and was often running around like a headless chicken, constantly found to be out of position trying to do everything.

Xabi Alonso made Gerrard look better than he actually was.

Good grief man.

Gerrard retired in 2016 after one season for LA Galaxy. His legs were gone and he was more prone to making more of the daft back pass mistakes whilst playing in deeper positions, for Liverpool and England.

Between 2011 and 2014 we won four trophies. Yaya scored in both cup finals and was a key part of the two league titles.

Maybe his European experience would have given us something extra in the CL but Bayern, Real and Barcelona were outstanding winners. We would have been unlikely to beat any of those teams just by adding SG. An extra Europa League trophy, possibly?

I was referring to Gerrard the overall player in his prime rather than that specific timeline.

My point being that if he was in our successful sides i believe we would have won the Champions League. He won it and dragged Liverpool to another final and would have done so with us surrounded by Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Yaya, Tevez etc

Good grief man.
Indeed!

Mancini, Pellegrini and Pep are all about the system, positioning and the greater good of the team. Gerrard would have got nowhere near the starting XI.

Arrigo Sacchi on Steven Gerrard.

"But they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play-football. They lacked decision making. They lacked positioning. They didn't have the subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective. And for many, I wasn't sure they were going to learn".

“You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself. They help you reach your goal, which is putting your talent at the service of the team and, by doing this, making both of you and the team greater.

"In situations like that, I just have to say, Gerrard's a great footballer, but perhaps not a great player.

Yeah domestically you could argue he failed, but that’s the decision he made choosing to stay at Liverpool at a time where we really didn’t deserve a player of his calibre based on our league positions.

There’s no doubt he could of won more domestically had he moved to Chelsea or another club and in some parallel universe where he did move on he would have multiple PL medals under his name but I don’t think it would have as meant much to him.

Yeah domestically you could argue he failed, but that’s the decision he made choosing to stay at Liverpool at a time where we really didn’t deserve a player of his calibre based on our league positions.

There’s no doubt he could of won more domestically had he moved to Chelsea or another club and in some parallel universe where he did move on he would have multiple PL medals under his name but I don’t think it would have as meant much to him.
He didn't really 'choose' to stay at Liverpool did he though?
That decision was made for him but gives your puddle fanbase something to cling onto when talking about how loyal he was.
He'd have been gone in a flash had he not been a silly boy.

He didn't really 'choose' to stay at Liverpool did he though?
That decision was made for him but gives your puddle fanbase something to cling onto when talking about how loyal he was.
He'd have been gone in a flash had he not been a silly boy.
Mmmmmmm yeah I think he chose to stay.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.