Can Steven Gerrard be classed as a domestic failure?

He was a great player, that fact he didn’t win a shed load of trophies doesnt diminish his ability or the impact he had at club and international level … Let’s face it there are some players past and present with lots of trophies who couldnt lace Gerrards boots…

Should Steven Gerrard be considered a failure domestically?

Domestic Honours
I'm not arguing he wasn't a good player but when it mattered in the league he went missing or was at fault either partially or fully for his teams losses.

When you see what Phil Foden has already achieved domestically at City
I wonder if he regrets not leaving Liverpool for a better, more successful club?
You could argue he has already had more success as a manager domestically at Rangers than he ever did as a player.
Do you work for the Daily mail by any chance? I also thought that was worthy of one of wanker Goldsteins wind up intros on TS!

As said its all relative and Gerrard was just head and shoulders above most of the people he played with (perhaps barring Alonso. Whereas Foden is in a team that has quality everywhere on a par with him or close.

It also means that 90% odd of players are likely to be failures as there is usually one team in any age/decade that dominates, meaning that anyone playing for other teams is unlikely to win anything.

Should Steven Gerrard be considered a failure domestically?

Domestic Honours
I'm not arguing he wasn't a good player but when it mattered in the league he went missing or was at fault either partially or fully for his teams losses.

When you see what Phil Foden has already achieved domestically at City
I wonder if he regrets not leaving Liverpool for a better, more successful club?
You could argue he has already had more success as a manager domestically at Rangers than he ever did as a player.
It’s not all about winning trophies.

Look at Colin Bell, hardly won much at City considering he’s one of the best (only one league title and six other trophies). Jimmy Greaves won even less (also only one league title in Serie A and five other trophies). Alan Shearer won one league title and that’s it!

By the time Foden retires he could likely have won more trophies than Gerrard Bell Greaves and Shearer combined!

But Maradona only ever won 9 club trophies n’all. Phil Neal won 16, but hardly anybody remembers Phil Neal even now and Maradona will be remembered for centuries!

Gerrard was a fantastic player, one of the best midfielders in the Prem era. One of Liverpool’s greatest ever players. Also if you’re a fan of a club, I don’t think you even care about never leaving them.

If you played for City and other clubs won more but you stayed with City all your career because you’re a City fan, would it bother you that you never moved to one of the more successful clubs? Gerrard could have played for anyone, he was a better player than MacManaman, Owen, and Beckham who all went to Madrid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerrard was a player, the real deal. He stayed with the club he loved. He could have played for anybody. Many a player who were shite jave plenty of medals. I cant remember their names. But I know Gerrard. He was fucking brilliant and you just make a **** of yourself if you deny that.

Gerrard was a player, the real deal. He stayed with the club he loved. He could have played for anybody. Many a player who were shite jave plenty of medals. I cant remember their names. But I know Gerrard. He was fucking brilliant and you just make a **** of yourself if you deny that.
He couldn't of played for any other English club he liked as the Scouse mafia wouldn't let him (allegedly.....)

I'll judge him on his time at Liverpool only as he didn't shine on the international stage.
He was a great player and he had that nasty streak in him that we all love when it's a player at our own clubs

Great club player but like all the other great English club players at the time nothing special at international level.
Remembered more for falling flat on his face more than winning anything now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.