Can the €190m euromillions lottery be rigged?

Prestwich_Blue said:
The formula for determing how many groups of consecutive numbers are in a set is, I think, (n - x)+1, where n is the total set of numbers and x represents how many numbers you want in a group of consecutive numbers.

So for the normal lottery of 49 numbers (n) to determine how many groups of 3 consecutive numbers there are you'd calculate (49-3)+1 = 47. For groups of 4, it's 46 and for groups of 5, it's 45. so by eliminating consecutive groups of 3, 4 and 5 numbers, you'd eliminate the grand total of 138 possible combinations. But eliminating all groups of 3 automatically excludes all groups of 4 and 5 so really it only accounts for 47 combinations effectively.
But, and it's a really big but, there is no scientific reason why you wouldn't get a run of four, five or six numbers... It's the name of the game, the Lottery. There is an equal chance of 123456 coming out as there is any other combination of six... Isn't there?

BTW was the Euros won last night?

BigJoe#1 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
The formula for determing how many groups of consecutive numbers are in a set is, I think, (n - x)+1, where n is the total set of numbers and x represents how many numbers you want in a group of consecutive numbers.

So for the normal lottery of 49 numbers (n) to determine how many groups of 3 consecutive numbers there are you'd calculate (49-3)+1 = 47. For groups of 4, it's 46 and for groups of 5, it's 45. so by eliminating consecutive groups of 3, 4 and 5 numbers, you'd eliminate the grand total of 138 possible combinations. But eliminating all groups of 3 automatically excludes all groups of 4 and 5 so really it only accounts for 47 combinations effectively.
But, and it's a really big but, there is no scientific reason why you wouldn't get a run of four, five or six numbers... It's the name of the game, the Lottery. There is an equal chance of 123456 coming out as there is any other combination of six... Isn't there?

Exactly every combination of 6 is as likely as any other so all you can do is try to get a combination of 6 that is the least likely anyone else would have so maximising your chance of getting 100% of jackpot. Therefore taking out the most popular numbers makes your chance of doing this as good as it can be.

EalingBlue2 said:
BigJoe#1 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Exactly every combination of 6 is as likely as any other so all you can do is try to get a combination of 6 that is the least likely anyone else would have so maximising your chance of getting 100% of jackpot. Therefore taking out the most popular numbers makes your chance of doing this as good as it can be.

Agreed, if you want to be a unique winner, however if you want to just be a winner (shared or otherwise) youre taking a reverse gamble by assuming you won't get a run of say 4, 5 or 6 numbers.

I will only be buying the one ticket - it takes only one and you never know. Worthwhile for all the daydreaming :)

Prestwich_Blue said:

I was about to say the same thing.

Just checked not won... Estimated £150,000,000

Nip along and buy a ticket people.

Support the poor mans tax.

BigJoe#1 said:
Just checked not won... Estimated £150,000,000

Nip along and buy a ticket people.

Support the poor mans tax.

I won a couple of thousand on it the first time I ever played, then quit while I was ahead.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.