Canal Street Blues LGBT Supporters Group 2014

Good post that, and don't argue with a word of it. It hardly shows that the need/desire for an LGBT group is a good thing though does it? If there was true acceptance of these issues, and no one felt persecuted then no one would feel the need for an LGBT supporters group. For that reason I actually feel that the new Canal St Supporters group is not a cause for any celebration or something to be proud of, but rather we as a club/society still have to evolve a bit. All power to the folk in it /organizing it, but surely the hope must be that it will quickly become an anachronism and gay supporters will feel comfortable enough to join 'mainstream' supporters groups.
Before the gay outrage police arrive to out me as a massive homophobe I'd just like to add that I feel the same about groups based on colour such as the black police federation/assn. so I suppose I'm a racist too?

Helmet Cole said:
Good post that, and don't argue with a word of it. It hardly shows that the need/desire for an LGBT group is a good thing though does it? If there was true acceptance of these issues, and no one felt persecuted then no one would feel the need for an LGBT supporters group. For that reason I actually feel that the new Canal St Supporters group is not a cause for any celebration or something to be proud of, but rather we as a club/society still have to evolve a bit. All power to the folk in it /organizing it, but surely the hope must be that it will quickly become an anachronism and gay supporters will feel comfortable enough to join 'mainstream' supporters groups.
Before the gay outrage police arrive to out me as a massive homophobe I'd just like to add that I feel the same about groups based on colour such as the black police federation/assn. so I suppose I'm a racist too?

The difference between being black and LGBT is you can tell immediately by the colour of their skin what the ethnicity of the a black individual is. Not every LGBT individual looks like Freddie Mercury / John Inman or Sinead O' Conner. Hey, you can even be black AND LGBT!!!!!!
If you are someone who fancies a black person, and wishes to befriend a black person with the view to forming a relationship, you can do so in many venues across the city.
if you happen to fancy someone but are not sure of their sexuality and more to the point are concerned that by ''asking them out'' may pose a risk to your sexuality / safety, then you may consider not taking up the option of asking them out.
I am not saying that the Canal Street Blues is set up to be a dating agency. Far from it. But I dare say people will kop off from being members and why shouldn't they? I have been on coaches with supporters clubs for 30 years and as soon as a female got on board it was ''tits out for the lads'' and the race was on to see who could kop first.
Why should Blues who are gay be any different?
This is a supporters club for Blues who are Blues first and foremost. Just like the Prestwich branch or the Levenshulme branch are for Blues who live in the Prestwich or Levenshulme area. The Canal Street Blues are Blues who are LGBT or LGBT friendly. They seek to meet with like minded Blue individuals. A social network - even a peer support group. Whatever you want to call it. The demand appears to be there and I support the formation of branch 100%. Good luck to all members and the organisers.

I'm still reeling from the news that not all gay men look like john Inman, or at least the bloke in leather from the village people. I take your point about 'kopping off' and it's fair enough. This does however begin to contradict earlier posts about it being open to all. A good looking lad like myself would be lucky to get out of there alive! -particularly with my massive handlebar moustache and skintight pvc gimp-suit. ;-)

A Badger Is Not A Beaver said:
r.soleofsalford said:
Bodicoteblue said:
I'm sorry it read that way - I was referring to someone else in this thread , not you .
I agree entirely with you .

if your referring to my post, which part of it is homophobic. pray tell

r.soleofsalford wrote:
can just say i`m straight and 61 years old.

i accept people for who and what they are but i dont need to know if the bloke or woman sat next to me is straight or gay or wanks furiously to old newsreel footage of margret thatcher.

i just dont understand the need for a person to broadcast to the world their sexual orientation, what happens behind their bedroom door at night between two or three consenting adults is of no concern to me.

Imagine if you will that you are part of a minority.
A persecuted minority.
Persecuted for your colour.
Everywhere you are belittled and derided for your colour.
You are abused in the press, on the tv, on the streets, at work, even by people you would otherwise call friends.
But you are proud of your colour; no matter how much society tells you you are less than others you keep the faith. You know that your colour is something to be proud of. Your colour is just as good, if not better, than the other more numerous colours.
You band together with other members of your colour in solidarity.
Sometimes you meet your comrades in a safe place where you are all of one colour. These are special times; times when you can celebrate the joys of being your colour; times when you can let your guard down and exchange stories of humiliation and abuse perpetrated by the many. Somehow knowing others are with you makes it easier to take the hurt.
Sometimes you meet and sing songs of pride and battle. Celebrating your colour. You do this in public, sometimes in places where you know everyone is not of your colour.
You do this to show you will not be cowed.
You do this to show you will not change - no matter the forces of oppression arrayed against, you will keep the faith.
Some of your colour, your tribe, are weaker than you.
They stay quiet, they grumble in secret, they drift away. The weakest even disavow the true path and change their colour.
But not you, you are strong. You keep the faith. You are loud and proud.
On a special day you will wear your colours.
You will go where you are most hated.
You wil go where you are most reviled.
You will go to their temple and sing of your pride whilst they laugh at you.
You will go to their pubs and you will wear your colour and you will stand tall no matter the abuse.
Some were weaker.
Some bowed but you kept the faith through all the years in the wilderness. Your colour existed and you rubbed it in their faces.

Your colour was Blue.
You were a persecuted minority.
You went into work after defeat after defeat to face them, you didn't duck out.
You went into work after they won trophy after trophy, you didn't hide.
You told people who you were and you stood up.
You wore Blue with pride.

If you can't understand other minorities wanting to:-
A) let the majority know the exist
B) have a group where they can have a drink with no knobs about

Then words fail me.

I think you could have phrased "B" a little better ;-)

Helmet Cole said:
I'm still reeling from the news that not all gay men look like john Inman, or at least the bloke in leather from the village people. I take your point about 'kopping off' and it's fair enough. This does however begin to contradict earlier posts about it being open to all. A good looking lad like myself would be lucky to get out of there alive! -particularly with my massive handlebar moustache and skintight pvc gimp-suit. ;-)

Not sure if you are serious.... but I will bite...
No contradiction as I said in my post, the branch is open to LGBT and LGBT friendly people (including families of LGBT Blues)
If a member wishes to approach another member (who is not LGBT) they are more than likely to get a polite response rather than a smack in the mouth that they could get elsewhere.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Helmet Cole said:

No contradiction as I said in my post, the branch is open to LGBT and LGBT friendly people (including families of LGBT Blues)
If a member wishes to approach another member (who is not LGBT) they are more than likely to get a polite response rather than a smack in the mouth that they could get elsewhere.
Yeah , I will bite too. Mr Cole's contributions to this thread have mentioned bestiality , paedophilia, rainbow socks , the bloke in leather from the village people ( who were btw created as parodies of the popular image of gay men at that time), John Inman , handlebar moustaches , skintight PVC gimp suits and the "gay outrage police"
While some people may see this as witty and satirical , I would suggest that the casual use of stereotypes like these , is just one of the reasons that gay people feel the need to form their own groups where they can celebrate their own identity. As was pointed out earlier in this thread , people of similar interests , habits , hobbies , race , creed , and colour and indeed football club supporters have banded together for generations , and proclaimed their identities in an atmosphere of tolerance and shared experience.
The use of so many "gay " cliches could lead some of those who read them to think that their author is slightly obsessed .

Bodicoteblue said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Helmet Cole said:

Yeah , I will bite too. Mr Cole's contributions to this thread have mentioned bestiality , paedophilia, rainbow socks , the bloke in leather from the village people ( who were btw created as parodies of the popular image of gay men at that time), John Inman , handlebar moustaches , skintight PVC gimp suits and the "gay outrage police"
While some people may see this as witty and satirical , I would suggest that the casual use of stereotypes like these , is just one of the reasons that gay people feel the need to form their own groups where they can celebrate their own identity. As was pointed out earlier in this thread , people of similar interests , habits , hobbies , race , creed , and colour and indeed football club supporters have banded together for generations , and proclaimed their identities in an atmosphere of tolerance and shared experience.
The use of so many "gay " cliches could lead some of those who read them to think that their author is slightly obsessed .

Yep. I'd say you've found someone in the closet there. The sort of bloke who's eyes light up and who makes "backs to the wall" type jokes when someone gay is around.

It's a fair-cop, I probably am gay to be fair, still don't think it's great that we need a separate supporters group though. All the (mostly well reasoned) arguments for it's existence boil down to a problem with acceptance in the wider community. For that reason alone I think the formation of a sexuality specific supporters group is not in itself worthy of celebration, but rather a damming indictment of how far we still have to go as a society. I suppose we may have to agree to disagree. I'm off to sniff some poppers and lube up my butt-plug while I give it some more thought.

Helmet Cole said:
It's a fair-cop, I probably am gay to be fair, still don't think it's great that we need a separate supporters group though. All the (mostly well reasoned) arguments for it's existence boil down to a problem with acceptance in the wider community. For that reason alone I think the formation of a sexuality specific supporters group is not in itself worthy of celebration, but rather a damming indictment of how far we still have to go as a society. I suppose we may have to agree to disagree. I'm off to sniff some poppers and lube up my butt-plug while I give it some more thought.

I'm going to bite now but I aint going to waste my time, all the good points have already been well made.

You've just proved the need for a LGBT group, so all I can suggest is you don't join it and let the members be.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.